Thread: Does anyone use an SEP (homeschool IEP)?

Default Does anyone use an SEP (homeschool IEP)?

I was wondering if anyone here uses an SEP (Student Education Plan - HSLDA told me this is the name for a homeschool IEP) for their child. I am not considering using it to get services from the public school system (the services my son receives are, and any he begins in the future will remain, private) but for me to manage, track, and record his progress in areas in which he struggles. I spoke with HSLDA and they do not feel it's absolutely necessary (mainly because he is young - K next year - and his needs not severe) but think it could be helpful to me, and I agree. I will also use it to record the private services that he receives (Neurodevelopmental Therapy). I've purchased several resources recommended by HSLDA (The Student Education Plan by Judith Munday and The IEP Manual by Jim and Debby Mills) to help me write one.

Anyway, if anyone here uses an SEP, I'd very much appreciate any suggestions and advice you can give :-)

Thanks,
    Cheryl
    Last edited by Cheryl in CA; 01-14-2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: to show my signature :-)
    Cheryl, mom to 5 blessings (ds 20, ds 19, dd 11, dd 8, ds 6)

Hi Cheryl. Welcome!
    Sorry I don't have any advice for you. But I'll be paying close attention to what others have to say on the topic.
    Audrey ~ Mama of miracles Mercy Jane 2/16/08 Nathaniel Christopher 11/3/09 Leah Hope & Sarah Faith 9/30/12 Isaiah Henry 7/11/14 Wife of my best friend Justin

I don't do a formal one -- but what I've done had to submit things like the following to our accountability group to demonstrate how I'm addressing a child's needs:

Language Arts:
    X will utilize Wilson Language Level 1 3 times weekly and will complete the program with 90% accuracy on his reading, spelling and fluency tests utilizing the materials in the program.

OT
    X will work on fine motor and sensory processing issues by: 1) completing cut and paste projects 3 times a week and will utilize glue stixs and not clean his hands until the project is completed 2) utilize finger paints, shaving cream, etc. to practice writing letters and will etc.

Speech:
    X will work on articulation skills focusing on vocalic /r/ 3 times a week for 30 mins each and will work to 90% accuracy with his articulation of the sound.

I also include things like:

Due to slower processing speed x will be allowed extended time for any exam or work that normally carries a time constraint. Etc.

I've found the "paper trail" of what accommodations I've provided to be helpful as we moved into college standardized testing and college accommodations.
    DS (28) Marketing Director; DIL (28) Analyst; DD (20) College Junior/Gymnastics Instructor; DS (18) 12th/Baseball player; DS (13) 7th/Music lover

Laura - thank you, that is very helpful :-)

Audrey - thank you for the welcome! I hope this thread is helpful to you as well :-)
    Last edited by Cheryl in CA; 01-14-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: to show my signature :-)
    Cheryl, mom to 5 blessings (ds 20, ds 19, dd 11, dd 8, ds 6)

I know I'm late to this conversation, but I just joined the forum here and have only been homeschooling my son full time for a month now. I love the idea of an SEP! It's a great way to hold myself accountable and ensure we're working on target skills.

Speaking of which...does anyone know of a good checklist to work through? It would be helpful if I had an incremental list to follow and work on.

I use one that I write just for myself, to help me keep focused on his goals and what comes next. I have different areas (academic, self help, behavioral, speech etc) and just write goals for what he should be doing next in each area. I then write out how I'm going to go about achieving that goal. I find that very helpful because it keeps me mindful of why I'm doing certain things and helps me to remember to do them An example: Will be able to demonstrate understanding of positional words (on/under/behind/in front/next to/above/below) Activities: using toys can play games to move objects to directed location. Use picture cards to show understanding of words and meanings Items: puppy game, find the egg game, dog house picture cards.

I write the goal, what I'll do to achieve that goal, and then what items I have or will need to do the activities. This helps me remember in the moment what I was thinking when I wrote the goal Aaron is non verbal so all of the activities involve ways for him to show me what he knows since he can't tell me. I'll try and find a link to some check list and resources.
    Catherine ~ wife to Ken, mommy to Hannah 19 (sophomore, George Mason), Lauren 15, Aaron 13 (with Down Syndrome), Caleb 8, and Katelyn 5

I have discovered that there is a benefit to writing your own IEP. If in the future you want your child to receive services from the public school system, this is a helpful document to present during the intake process.

This wouldn't have helped my dd because her learning problems showed up later and in ways that are too subtle for our local system to acknowledge. However, it would have been a good thing for me to document her appointments, therapies, and my strategies just so I has them readily available.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (9)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....