Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writing With Ease

I know this is an older thread, but I just have to say my dd has responded beautifully to WWE! She would put her head down on the table in frustration when she had a blank journal in front of her. I'm so glad I saw someone mention it on this forum and researched it. I'm curious- for those who stuck with WWE, are your children doing well in writing now?

Mind are, but we outgrew WWE & moved them into IEW. Having said that they do written narrations & summaries for their other studies that aren't part of "writing" class & do find with those as well.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

That's very encouraging, Kendra. Thank you for sharing! I'll have to look into IEW. Is that also with Susan Wise Bauer?

I use WWE for the first three years, and then also move my kids into IEW. I love their program! You can find their webpage here. We started with the Student Writing Intensive Level A, and then with the Level A continuation course. Edited to add that it is not Susan Wise Bauer, but is a fantastic program.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Thank you Sunshine. I perused and it looks like it's DVD teachings? And more. I appreciate you sharing the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth SC View Post
    Thank you Sunshine. I perused and it looks like it's DVD teachings? And more. I appreciate you sharing the link!
    Yes, the ones that we have done so far have DVD teaching, but not every day uses the DVD. For example, the instructor (Andrew Pudewa) originally taught the Student Writing Intensive as a five day course to the children in the video. However, the student book is broken up into 15 4-day weeks, so that only certain amounts of the video are watched at a time, with lots of practice time in between. Both of the courses I've used have DVDs, however I know that many of their theme books just use the same style of teaching and there are no DVDs.

What they do have, that is very much worth watching, is a DVD course for the parent, to teach them the IEW method and how to teach it to their children. I found this extremely helpful for me to watch to understand what my children would be learning and how to help them. If you are interested in IEW, maybe another homeschooler in your area might have it to lend to you? It is pricey to buy, but I really appreciated it. Partly because I am more of a math person, and less of a language person, and watching this gave me confidence (and made me wish I'd had this method in school - I would have loved it!) They are currently selling the 2nd edition, but I have a first edition and I think it would be just as helpful if you found someone to borrow it from (or buy it second hand).
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

It's not like SWB, but it's still incremental & to the point. My kids have been able to take what they learned from IEW & apply it across other subjects in which they are required to write for. My eldest has to write a lengthy paper each week on one of his readings & ends up using the IEW KWO method each time to get the job done.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Kendra and Sunshine: Thank you for sharing!! I truly appreciate it.