Thread: Story of the World

Default Story of the World

I am considering getting Story of the World's audio books. I don't want to sit and study it as a curriculum, but we enjoy listening to things in the car and when we're relaxing.

Any one have a good review on them?
    Loving, living, and learning with Silas (11) Cedric (10) Aria (7) Titus (5)

When my boys were young we were on the road a lot taking our youngest to therapy, school, and appointments. They love SOTW on audio CD.
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 19yo Eli, 17yo Kyle, and 13yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

We like SOTW, but I think your like for it will depend on your like for the narrator. I'm not gonna lie, we don't like Mr Weiss as a narrator, but he grew on us & we tolerate him. We've heard some amazing narrators who can make the dullest books come to life, but we found Mr Weiss made a great book a bit dull. We listened to the first couple of chapters & put it away for a while. When we pulled it out again we anticipated REALLY dull & found that we didn't mind it so much.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

I've heard the author do the reading and Jim Weisse and we prefer Jim for sure! I think your kids would enjoy it. Does your library have them to try?
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

I wish our library had it. We have the book, but not the audio recordings.

Thanks for the input. I'll maybe just buy one to start with and see what we think of his reading before getting them all, but my kids are pretty tolerant of narrators. .

Jekka, did you check the samples?

Never heard Bauer read them, she's animated in her conferences so I'm surprised to hear she's boring for reading aloud. FWIW, it's not that Wiess is awful, it's that we are very spoiled. We've listened to thousands of audio books, as our eldest child has a vision disability, & we've heard some fascinating narrators which means when we hear "second best" we tend to wrinkle our noses & say, "WHAT?!" Never, seriously, never listen to the audios for Magic Treehouse, the author sounds like she's either deeply depressed or half asleep, I haven't decided which yet.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

We listen to a lot of audio books, too. I can really understand what you mean. The Magic Treehouse bookscare read by the author. I guess it saves money? My kids still like them.

We bought vol. One and I don't mi d the narrator. He's not fantastic, but I've heard worse.

So glad you're enjoying it! Funny thing is, I found it by another narrator for my eldest. He still relies heavily on audio books or someone else reading to him due to his vision struggles. He listened to the intro & said, "You know, I think I actually like the other guy better!"

Quote Originally Posted by Heather W View Post
    I've heard the author do the reading and Jim Weisse and we prefer Jim for sure! I think your kids would enjoy it. Does your library have them to try?
    I love the search feature in this forum! I was curious about SOTW. I read your suggestion Heather and now I have the audiobook and volume 1 reserved at my library. Such a great way to try it to see if I want to buy it! Thanks.