Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreign Language????

Default Foreign Language????

What did you use for Foreign Language?

I have Rosetta Stone for French (levels 1-5), but I don't see any written work or ????????? I'm not sure it's "enough."

I am (used to be ) fluent in French and have a minor in it, so I'm able to teach the kids, but I just am clueless as to where to start. Next year, I want to do French 1 with Katie (10th) and Mattie (8th), and I'm sure Cale will tag along for no high school credit.

Any suggestions?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

I'm not there yet, but I think Foreign Language will be one of the classes we do using dual enrollment. It just seems like such a critical class for interaction with others.
    That said, the people I've heard who have used RS have been very happy with it.
    Melissa, Five in a Row Staff - Community Manager
    Robert's my man. Jacob, 13, and Mattie, 9, entertain me and keep me on my knees!
    "Once your enemy, now seated at your table. Jesus, thank you!" ~ Sovereign Grace Music

We use Duolingo. Free. Online.
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (17), Abby (14). Grammy to 6 sweet granddaughters. Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    We use Duolingo. Free. Online.
    The library has this, right? Is there any written portion -- that's what I'm more concerned about?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Both my boys have speech/language delays, and even their native language has given them a lot of trouble. A foreign language is a very daunting proposition. Our only options for outside teaching are a private tutor, which we can't afford, or the local high school, which does a type of block scheduling that compresses a year-long course into a half year, making the speed of learning an even bigger issue. I contacted the speech therapist at the high school and was told that with a documented speech issue, they wouldn't even grade for pronunciation at all, which I understand the reasoning for, but seems pretty counter-productive with a foreign language. For my oldest son we copped out and he did a year of a video sign language course. I doubt he remembers any of it now.

My younger son chose to do Spanish. Not a bad choice as I took it in high school and can at least manage the pronunciation with no problem. My daughter double-majored and one was Spanish, so we have her available for some help if needed. We decided on Duo-lingo, which is a free on-line program. I researched the various options, and Duo-lingo is considered more effective than even Rosetta Stone. It does include a written component. Much of each lesson includes having to translate and type in various sentences, so they get practice with the spelling and using accent marks. The ultimate goal of the Duo-lingo website is to have the "entire internet" translated into all languages and the students are their method of getting this done. Due to this, I'm assuming that the written work will increase to longer passages. I've not been particularly impressed with the voice-recognition of the program. I'm usually listening in as ds does his lesson; sometimes it seems to require perfection, and other times it seems to accept some really bad attempts. It may be adjusting its expectations according to some unknown formula such as how often that word has been used, so maybe it's not a bad thing, but I find that to be a frustrating thing from my point of view, especially since pronunciation is such a difficult thing for my son anyway. Ds2 is determined to plow through, but he commented last month that he now understands why we chose sign language for his brother.
    Wendy, wife of Retired Air Force hubby Sid. Mom to school teacher Virginia, 28yo; Son-in-law Mark; Homeschool graduate and Graphic Artist John, 21 and remaining student Tim, 15.
    I can only do one thing well...You pick: Homeschool the kids, or Clean the house.

My big kids did dual enrollment and did ASL as their foreign language. Not every college accepts ASL as a foreign language. My youngest is doing German, Duolingo.
    You have indeed been called into ministry. Be careful that you don't scorn it in persuit of something bigger or better in the world's eyes. -- Lis in Maine

No, it's online. There's a part where you have to translate sentences, but click the answers and keep a notebook (at least that's how we're doing it). There is a program offered on the library's website, but I haven't checked into it. When we finish Duolingo, maybe we'll use that one.

But my friend's two kids used Rosetta Stone. I asked her about it when they had finished 2 years (they are smart kids!) and she said they couldn't speak the language at all, so I thought, why spend the money? I'd rather have a tutor than Duolingo but at least we're not paying a big price not to actually learn anything!
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (17), Abby (14). Grammy to 6 sweet granddaughters. Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

Following. We're coming into our high school years so this is something I've been thinking about.
    Rachel, mommy to Max and Zoe - 15, Abby - 12, and Sam, 9
    Moving at the speed of homeschool

We BOMBED with Rosetta Stone. Total waste of time and money (Japanese and then French). My son ended up learning German on his own with free stuff off the internet. He ended up graduating college with a German major (and a 2nd major of biology). He H.A.T.E.D Rosetta because it is complete immersion. You need a little grammar study in there to get it. Younger sister starts high school this fall. We will probably dual enroll when the time comes.

Karen in Tn

When my oldest daughter was applying to colleges, we were told that she needed a minimum of 3 years of foreign language. NOW, four years have been recommended to us. UGH...We've used K12 International for foreign language. They use the same platform as Laurel Springs and a few other places. It's a solid program and I'd recommend it. HOWEVER, this coming year I'll have one in Spanish 3, one in Spanish 2 and one in Spanish 1. I am following this discussion carefully and hoping to find a less expensive alternative.
    BELIEVE, IT'S OK (2015,2016).
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too