Thread: Basic, Incremental Drawing Program?

Default Basic, Incremental Drawing Program?

Hi,

I've been using Draw, Write, Now with my 9 year old and while I love the idea of the program, the drawings in even volume I are over his skill ability. That got me thinking that I'd love to dial back a bit to basic shapes and wondered if there were a similar kind of workbook on a more basic level? It doesn't have to include the copywork aspect.

Ideas?

http://www.amazon.com/Emberleys-Grea.../dp/0316789682
    http://www.amazon.com/First-Book-Dra.../dp/1934968021

You may be able to find free printables by searching "basic line and shape drawing"
    Blessed to be Home With The Kids
    Logan (14), Hannah (11), Aaron (9), (Little One Eternally Home 2007), (Liam 5)

My favorite is the Drawing Textbook by Bruce McIntyre. It's a simple booklet that can be used by anyone of any age, though with younger kids it may work best if they work through it with an adult.

I'm digging back to the depths of my memory here, but I believe Mark Kistler's Draw Squad is based on the methods in the Drawing Textbook, but in a more child-friendly format. (I know there is a child-friendly series written by a student of McIntyre, and I think this is it.) I just now discovered on Amazon that he has many other drawing books, too, so there are lots of options to choose from.

My daughter once took a class that used Drawing with Children. She produced some beautiful pictures, but never continued with drawing in general. I've looked at the book, and it seems to be more of a teacher's manual than straight lessons that anyone could follow.
    Last edited by WendyW; 04-26-2016 at 08:34 AM.
    Wendy, wife of Retired Air Force hubby Sid. Mom to school teacher Virginia, 28yo; Son-in-law Mark; Homeschool graduate and Graphic Artist John, 21 and remaining student Tim, 15.
    I can only do one thing well...You pick: Homeschool the kids, or Clean the house.

Usborne has some that are simpler than that. I can't link right now, but I'm sure a search will find them.

Thanks, everyone! I feel silly for not thinking of Kumon or Usborne myself. Great ideas! I did find printable basic line cards and we worked on that today.