Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life of Fred middle school

Default Life of Fred middle school

Hi friends.
    I am at our homeschool conference and looking at math. Those who have used LOF in middle school can you share how long it took you to go through the books. Or how many books in a year? Did you supplement? Go over a page more than once?

This math is working with one of mine who was struggling and I'm just trying to figure out the next step. And yes I'm doing it at he last minute. Lol. It's been that kind of year.

Thanks for any help!
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (23) married to Emily, Rebecca (20), Joshua (16), Isaiah (14) and Daniel (12) and Eliana Joy (9) and several waiting in heaven

Heather W would be a good person to contact for this question.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (9)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Leslie it would depend on where you begin and how your student paces through the math. I can see a book and a half per year probably at a reasonable pace. Would you begin at Fractions? or Pre-Algebra 0 with Physics?
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (18 ds, 16 dd, 14 ds, 11 ds).

Heather, I'm looking at fractions. He has just finished Kidneys and will be working through the summer on the last couple of books in the elem series (we hope). I would love to hear more on how you pace the book. We switched to LOF when he was struggling as it just seemed a fun way to do math. Its not what I've done with most of my others though (did some with one boy before he switched back to the other curriculum). Can you share or point me to your post on this? Thanks so much!
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (23) married to Emily, Rebecca (20), Joshua (16), Isaiah (14) and Daniel (12) and Eliana Joy (9) and several waiting in heaven

Here you go Leslie! http://blogshewrote.org/2013/04/08/l...meschool-math/

I usually list a couple books per year on my IHIP (annual plan for the state) with a notation we'll be working in both. I don't worry necessarily about pacing the books. We start and we go until the student needs a bit of review or has to back track and we keep going forward. My 5th grader took the whole year to do fractions because we did other math things in between (not other curriculum but other explorations), etc. He'll do Decimals and Percents as a 6th grader and we'll keep on going if he finishes that.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (18 ds, 16 dd, 14 ds, 11 ds).

Thanks Heather.

Can you help me understand what it looked like to spend a year on fractions? There just aren't that many chapters in the book? Did you do a page several times? I know you said that you did other math things in between - was that because he wasn't ready to move on?

Thanks for the link to your post. That was helpful to read. I appreciate your help with figuring this out.

We did other things because this particular kid needs extra challenges not related to a math book. For example, tomorrow he's starting his first MOOC (massive online open course) with a computer programming class at MIT. Fred is challenging! And fractions and decimals are no joke. They are difficult books for their age range. How many math books targeted for 10 yos have instruction on unit conversions? But, this kid can't settle into a routine and must be challenged enormously in order to stick with the more mundane tasks of schooling. That's him across the board with any subject.

The bridges that appear in the book at certain intervals are 10 problems that are not super easy. Sometimes a student will need to spend several tries on the bridges before moving on. If you find that they just aren't getting it, then you might have to do some review. That builds in time as well.

If your student can just hoe the row he's given, then you are good to go and I'm sure you could knock out two books in one year. For the cost of the text, I think you are safe to invest in both. If you order from the publisher at www.polkadotpublishing.com then it's always free shipping. I order the books as I need them.

Thank you so much Heather. I did purchase the next couple of books and we will tackle it as we can. I appreciate your help and advice and sharing how this has worked for y'all!

I realize this is way after you were at the convention but I know Samuel did Fractions and Decimals and Percents in 7th grade, and he may have done Mineshaft before them, but I kind of think he'd already finished it before the school year started. What I can't remember is when he did Pre-Al with Biology. (He has not done the Physics book). He did Pre-Al with Economics in 8th grade. He really could have done a lot more math, but we started Classical Conversations last year, and it is demanding, and the amount of work required there meant I was willing to let math drag out, especially since the level of math for CC was pre-algebra.
    Carol, mom to 19 yo, 17 yo, 16 yo, and 13 yo.
    I don't really care who did it. I just want you to clean it up.

Thanks Carol. Did Samuel only do LOF? My son that was using it (12yo) is wanting to go back and pick up where we stopped with MUS because he feels like it is regular math. I think he needs some of the drill present in a traditional book, but I do really like LOF. Guess I'm just not sure I trust it for a non-mathy kid. Thoughts? I think he is decent at doing math, but the dyslexia makes memorizing those pesky math facts a challenge which affects everything, kwim?