Thread: World Religions? Structure of the Bible?

Default World Religions? Structure of the Bible?

We are looking for two things, and I wonder if y'all can help.

First, we are looking for a semester-long study comparing world religions - something that gives a slightly-more-than-basic understanding of the major world religions.

Second, we are looking for a study of the Bible itself - how it is set up (OT, NT, what happened in between, structure of the poetry in Psalms, history, etc.), and if the study included how we ended up with the canon we have today, that would be good, too.

Thanks!
    Robin, wife for 20 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 18yo Belle; 16yo Kitty; 13yo Princess, and 10yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016: Be her.

Christian History Made Easy is a study my teens did at youth group this year and it went over some of the Bible basics. And Ethan had already done it in 8th grade with Winter Promise. Hilarious. I'm just realizing this.

The other book he did which gave him a huge wealth of knowledge on how the Bible came together was The 100 Most Important Events in Christian History.

Neither of these is devoted entirely to how the Bible is structured. However, they both give you the history behind why our Bible is what it is. How it was decided what would be in there and why things were left out.

Good stuff- all of it!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (18 ds, 16 dd, 14 ds, 11 ds).

I've debated for a few days on whether or not to mention this, but I figure it can't hurt. So this isn't really a book or anything for a course - but something that my kids (who are obviously younger than yours) and even I love is the video series by Phil Vischer called What's in the Bible? I knew a lot of it already, but even I learned some from it. He goes through a basic overview of the whole Bible, how it is structured, what each book of the Bible is about as well as the big story that the Bible tells. There are segments on how the Bible as we know it got to us as well as a lot of other great info. It uses puppets and animation, so it might seem a bit young, but I enjoyed it and it is very well done and doesn't feel "babyish" in my opinion. It wouldn't be something to base a semester long study on, but might be worth looking into if you're just interested in learning more.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd9 1/2, ds8, ds6 1/2 and ds5.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine C View Post
    I've debated for a few days on whether or not to mention this, but I figure it can't hurt. So this isn't really a book or anything for a course - but something that my kids (who are obviously younger than yours) and even I love is the video series by Phil Vischer called What's in the Bible? I knew a lot of it already, but even I learned some from it. He goes through a basic overview of the whole Bible, how it is structured, what each book of the Bible is about as well as the big story that the Bible tells. There are segments on how the Bible as we know it got to us as well as a lot of other great info. It uses puppets and animation, so it might seem a bit young, but I enjoyed it and it is very well done and doesn't feel "babyish" in my opinion. It wouldn't be something to base a semester long study on, but might be worth looking into if you're just interested in learning more.
    Oh yeah! What's in the Bible brings it when it comes to teaching the structure of the Bible. We have them all. And I got them for my now 11yo when he was about 9.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (18 ds, 16 dd, 14 ds, 11 ds).