Thread: Timelines/books with several children

Default Timelines/books with several children

Anyone want to share what you've done if you have 3 or more elementary age children working on a timeline?

I've wanted to start a timeline for a while and haven't been successful. We sort of had a notebook along with our SOTW studies that fizzled - I think since it was preplanned and bound, it didn't leave any room for creativity.

I'm wanting a very flexible timeline, that we can just add to no matter what we're studying.

I have considered a wall timeline since we have the space...but it's possible we'll remodel that room in the next three years, and that would involve painting the walls...

If we were to have a timeline book (and I think I'd probably prefer this over the wall), I am not sure I want each child to have their own. (??) This is really where I'm mostly undecided. If we have multiple books, it seems more work for me, and keeping up with it. If we have a family book, I am not sure the children will have "ownership". If you've been happy with the arrangement you've made, will you share with me what you've done?
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd10, dd9, ds7, dd5, dd3

I did a removable wall timeline last year. I actually bought one of those dollar store bulletin board trims and flipped it around to the blank side. Then I did even spaces throughout history.

I ended up doing a second timeline, using the same trim, below it that was just 1800 - present. This time in history exploded for us, and there wasn't enough time on the broad line. I color-coded it on my big timeline so they had a visual for where it truly belonged.

On that, we either printed off pictures (about the size of FIAR story disks) or just wrote in events on post-it notes.

We moved, the timeline came down and was put somewhere. It got destroyed. I want to do it again, because we really enjoyed having a sporadicly applied to but semi-permanent timeline on our wall. I will probably do the same next time as I did last time. I thought the trim was the perfect width.
    Loving, living, and learning with Silas (10) Cedric (9) Aria (7) Titus (5)

We had a timeline wall for a while, & then each child used the Timeline Notebook that Winter Promise offers. It's a beautiful timeline & fits in a notebook. You can put figures on the pages & slip your notebooking pages behind it. That's been SO helpful for when a child says, "Hey did x happen before y?" I usually tell them to go check their notebook.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

We use a HUGE binder for our timeline. All 3 children add stuff to it - depending on who is studying what. We've used it since my oldest was in K (she's now in 10th). Sometimes we'll start to add something and discover that it's already in there. Over the years - we have printed stuff to put in it, drawn pictures and mostly just write things down. We just have one timeline for our family.

Jekka - that sounds like a great way to have a timeline (and possibly keep it - so sorry yours was destroyed!!). I'm very visual, and I know that if it's on the wall, we won't forget about it.

Kendra, that is the precise reason I want a timeline. My kids are all really starting to put time together and we need a reference. I hadn't looked at Winter Promise - thanks for the suggestion.

Angie - when I have imagined our timeline book, that is precisely what I envision us doing. I think ONE BIG family notebook (or perhaps a wall timeline) we'll get more out of that many individual ones... Did you just write the century on a piece of paper and stick in in? Use a template? I really do love the idea of having one big family book of centuries. Now I really want to do both. Maybe my big girls could add entries to the notebook (since they're writing fluently) and the little ones could stick an image to the wall timeline...
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd10, dd9, ds7, dd5, dd3

Mindy, FIAR used to have just a Timeline that you could purchase. It's now available as part of the Notebook Builder -- http://fiveinarow.com/shop/notebook-builder/

I bought the Timeline years and years ago when my girls were MUCH younger. We used it some but have brought it back out again now that they're older. My oldest is doing WinterPromise Royals and Revolutionaries for 10th grade this year, and part of the "evaluation" is keeping a timeline. She's using her "old" FIAR timeline as her record -- she's just adding to it

For us, I made each of my dc (the girls are that point) her own "book." I took divider "tabs" and started at creation Some tabs are divided by 1000s of years (the beginning), some by 500s, some by 100s, and the more recent ones by 10s (since 1900). Here's a quick pic -- http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...land/002-2.jpg

The FIAR timeline component also has some "format" pages where there are blocks for you to put a picture and then lines to write some info.

Hope that helps!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

I just drew a line across the middle of the page and measured it into 10 year spans. I think it's 30 years per page - but it might be 50. I would have to check to be sure. I have BC drawn horizontally and AD vertically. I have most of it on card stock so it would hold up longer - have fun with it!