Thread: Question for those that use Beautiful Feet History

Default Question for those that use Beautiful Feet History

My oldest loves history, and has asked if we could add some in this year. She would like to study Am. History. I'm looking at BF Early American History Intermediate. Has anyone done this package, and if so, how long does a lesson take? I know that it is set up to be done 3x a week (not sure if we'll get to it 3x every week )

If you have any other suggestions on Am. History for a 5th grader, please let me know.

I have All Through the Ages: History through Literature Guide that I really like and I have used that for all of our rabbit trails, etc. with FIAR. However, this year I would really like to have all the books delivered to me.. lol

Thanks for the input!
    ~Julie~

Loving life with DH, Sarah (11) & Lauren (7)

I own a few BF Guides.. I find each one differs from another in how it's laid out which drives me kinda crazy.. Have you considered just letting her read through the books at her own pace? She'd garner a lot just doing that. Also HSITW has some great Time Traveler Cds for US history which are really really fun to use. They only las 6 weeks are scheduled for 4 days per week, with your 5th day being for catch-up on projects if you need it. The 6th week really only has 1-2 days of learning & the rest is putting together your lapbook {if you haven't yet} & then organising an end of study celebration..
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Ooooo Kendra. I totally forgot about HSITW. I'm going to check it out.
    ~Julie~

I have a friend who has used BF and likes them. I have no personal experience, though.

For the middle school years (I used it with all 3 of my oldest at once), we used Notgrass' America the Beautiful. I bought one timeline book, 3 map books, and I bought each one a student workbook, and one "review" book that I use orally. http://www.notgrass.com/notgrass/lea...beautiful.html It has some read=alouds (or alone's ). One thing I REALLY, really liked about this is that it's a great OVERVIEW of American history. Plus, each week you cover a famous landmark/place in America and a famous person. One thing I didn't like is that there's NO WAY we could have gotten it done in one year It literally is 180 lessons (I have a friend who did it in a year with her dc). We wound up doing book 1 one year (90 lessons) and then are doing book 2 (90 lessons) this year with my 8th and 6th graders. I love the mapping book. Again, I've been pleased, but, for us, it is a 2 year program. Plus, you can easily add more read-alouds or go-alongs if you'd like.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

I just have to say this. I've used a variety of things, BF among them. It would be at the bottom of my list. We like TruthQuest, although, granted the books can be hard to find. Beautiful Feet uses great books, but it is not very thorough and the lessons don't amount to much. This is strictly my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (17), Abby (14). Grammy to 6 sweet granddaughters. Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

Paige,

I really like Notgrass and have been looking at it. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

If I go with Notgrass, I'll break it up over 2 yrs as well. I'm thinking we will be doing history 2 or 3 times a week. How many days did you cover history? And how long did each lesson take? Also did you add in all the read-alouds?

Thanks for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    I just have to say this. I've used a variety of things, BF among them. It would be at the bottom of my list. We like TruthQuest, although, granted the books can be hard to find. Beautiful Feet uses great books, but it is not very thorough and the lessons don't amount to much. This is strictly my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
    Joy, I really like Truthquest too. Years ago I said that's what I wanted to use when it came time, but we now live in a small rural town and our library system is not that good, so more than likely I would have to buy every single book. :/
    ~Julie~

Julie, we typically did it 2-3 days a week. There were some weeks that life got overwhelming, and we skipped, and then there were weeks that we doubled up, trying to make sure we could get it all done Basically, one of the volumes, is 90 lessons, which would generally equate to half of the school year, so if you do 2-3 days a week, it should work out

We did some of the read alouds, not all of them. But, we had already done some of the read-alouds in prior studies. And, I had kids read a few separate books, based on interest and ability. My big kids have gotten to where they don't like read-alouds (yes, after ALL those years of reading aloud to them) I think part of that is because of the age difference between the youngest and oldest, and they can read so much faster on their own.

As for the amount of time ... I'd guess maybe 30 minutes per lesson (not counting the read alouds). But, there were also times where I chose to add rabbit trails and it took longer. For example, they were fascinated by Alcatraz, so we did a lot of extra reading about that, looking at pictures, researching the escapees, etc. We'd often google pictures of the places that were talked about.

Typically, my kids did the workbook as I read, and they did their mapping activities. At the end, one would write in the timeline (we only had one copy of that). Occasionally, I'd ask the review questions from the review book.
    Oh, there's also some creative writing and vocabulary writing. I had them keep a notebook and do some of those activities (not all) -- it just depended.

Again, we really enjoyed it, and I think it's great for an overview. It's not as detailed as a high school curriculum (which is the way it should be), but it gives a great overview of history and introduces landmarks and people. I've been pleased.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    Julie, we typically did it 2-3 days a week. There were some weeks that life got overwhelming, and we skipped, and then there were weeks that we doubled up, trying to make sure we could get it all done Basically, one of the volumes, is 90 lessons, which would generally equate to half of the school year, so if you do 2-3 days a week, it should work out

We did some of the read alouds, not all of them. But, we had already done some of the read-alouds in prior studies. And, I had kids read a few separate books, based on interest and ability. My big kids have gotten to where they don't like read-alouds (yes, after ALL those years of reading aloud to them) I think part of that is because of the age difference between the youngest and oldest, and they can read so much faster on their own.

As for the amount of time ... I'd guess maybe 30 minutes per lesson (not counting the read alouds). But, there were also times where I chose to add rabbit trails and it took longer. For example, they were fascinated by Alcatraz, so we did a lot of extra reading about that, looking at pictures, researching the escapees, etc. We'd often google pictures of the places that were talked about.

Typically, my kids did the workbook as I read, and they did their mapping activities. At the end, one would write in the timeline (we only had one copy of that). Occasionally, I'd ask the review questions from the review book.
    Oh, there's also some creative writing and vocabulary writing. I had them keep a notebook and do some of those activities (not all) -- it just depended.

Again, we really enjoyed it, and I think it's great for an overview. It's not as detailed as a high school curriculum (which is the way it should be), but it gives a great overview of history and introduces landmarks and people. I've been pleased.
    Thank you so much! This really helps!
    ~Julie~