Thread: Saxon math -- help!

Default Saxon math -- help!

My daughter (senior) has been using Teaching Textbooks, but this year she's taking her math at the learning center. Saxon Advanced Math, which I believe is pre-calculus? Anyway, the teacher SKIPPED the first four chapters because his students last year said they were "too easy." My dd is feeling "behind" after only one class. She's not used to Saxon, or doing math in a classroom, and this is a big change.

So if you use (or have used) Saxon, they have a lot of problems to do! Thirty complex problems in the lesson -- do you require your child to do them all? If not, what is a good alternative? I certainly want her to learn the material, but I also don't want to overwhelm her and cause anxiety.

She is seriously debating a STEM career/major (vs. art), and this class is going to be a major factor in helping her decide what she can handle in math. I'm sad that he chose to skip those chapters (with no warning to anyone beforehand) when they would have done her so much good. I don't think there's anything I can do about that. But her course load this year is heavy and she can't spend hours every day just doing math.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 18 * motion-loving ds 15 * piano-playing ds 10
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Rebe, I typically start Saxon in 7th (but had ds start it in 6th this year). We use the Saxon Teacher CD/dvd and have found great success with it. However, with dd1, we found that Alg. 2 Saxon Teacher cds and higher don't "teach" the material; they go over practice problems and then show how to correct the problems you get wrong. So, I've also had to order the Arthur Reed dvds for Alg. 2 (and will continue). Dd has found him incredibly helpful

No, we do NOT do all 30 problems. Typically, I go through and cross off what I think they don't "need" -- there's a lot of review daily, and if they "get it," there's no need to do 5 of those problems. However, if they're struggling with something specific, I DO have them do those problems. For example, ds was struggling with equations with a - x, so he's continued to work on those but doesn't have to do all of the ones that are x + 5 = 10.

This year, Katie is actually doing math through our coop (her choice ). She's still using the Art Reed videos and the Saxon Teacher cd, but there's a "tutoring" session at coop, and that teacher has given them a schedule with the problems they need to do. This year, they're having her do all 30 problems (usually) 2x a week and then about 15 (odds or evens) 2x a week and then a test 1x a week. She said the teacher found that schedule from My Father's World. (I'd still say you could do 15-25 problems daily, depending on what the child needs help with.) But, for example, yesterday I was going through Cale's work, and he probably did 25 of the 30 problems. The day before, he probably did 15.

I'd think your dd should be responsible enough to determine if she needs to do ALL of the problems or if she has something "down" and could only do 1 of 4 problems.

Hope that helps. If you have more questions, ask
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Thanks, Paige! I was pretty sure I remembered from years ago that families who use Saxon typically don't do all 30 problems. I've never seen Saxon before last week, so I didn't realize how much review there actually is.

Dd has figured out, over the past week, pretty much what you said. She determines for herself which problems she needs to do. It's still a LOT of work (because she used a different curriculum up to now and she's needing to fill in gaps and figure out what Saxon is asking for on certain problems), but she's getting her system worked out.

Thank you for confirming all of this! There is a learning curve, but I think she's going to be okay.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 18 * motion-loving ds 15 * piano-playing ds 10
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry