Thread: Writing program? Wordsmith?

Default Writing program? Wordsmith?

Yes! I am still on the hunt for a writing program for my oldest child, 10yo girl. She loves to write, and does well to initiate her own projects. She's done copywork forever (still does) and we're working on getting in more dictation. We have a language-rich environment...read a lot, informal writing, all of that... I really just need something to help hold me accountable, give her more experience and challenge, etc. And I really don't want anything too teacher intensive or that requires me to come up with all the projects.

I keep coming back around to Wordsmith (Apprentice level at the moment)....if you've used this, what have you liked or disliked about it? DH is a regular guest columnist with our local paper, and I think my older girls might get a kick out of a "newspaper" theme.

Also, if you have experience with Wordsmith, do you suggest maybe waiting and just doing the middle school program? That is the one I'm most interested in using, so if the "apprentice" level isn't necessary/worthwhile, please share!
    Last edited by Mindy in TX; 10-09-2016 at 04:02 PM. Reason: clarify
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd11, d10, ds8, dd5, dd4

We have it, it came with some curriculum this year, but I opted against it. Keep in mind my child is older then yours & I just felt it wasn't right for him. If you pop on to the author's website they have a nifty little schedule made for it so it would be super easy to stay on track. I dunno, I expected a bit more from it based on the write-up about it & was excited upon it's arrival, but after flipping through it I felt it was really really basic for any child who all ready knew basic grammar & such. I ended up purchasing Writers In Residence for my boy & so far so good.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendra AU View Post
    We have it, it came with some curriculum this year, but I opted against it. Keep in mind my child is older then yours & I just felt it wasn't right for him. If you pop on to the author's website they have a nifty little schedule made for it so it would be super easy to stay on track. I dunno, I expected a bit more from it based on the write-up about it & was excited upon it's arrival, but after flipping through it I felt it was really really basic for any child who all ready knew basic grammar & such. I ended up purchasing Writers In Residence for my boy & so far so good.
    Thanks for sharing, Kendra. Would you mind clarifying if you're referencing the Wordsmith Apprentice? That's the level I was looking at now, since my DD is about 5th grade.
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd11, d10, ds8, dd5, dd4

I used Wordsmith (the regular one) for my son who is very reluctant in language arts. It was a good program for him -- not too heavy, not too intense, and it was very easy for me. He used it in 6th or 7th grade (I can't remember which -- (I think 7th). It just got him writing, which was my goal.

I haven't see the Apprentice book.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I used Wordsmith (the regular one) for my son who is very reluctant in language arts. It was a good program for him -- not too heavy, not too intense, and it was very easy for me. He used it in 6th or 7th grade (I can't remember which -- (I think 7th). It just got him writing, which was my goal.

I haven't see the Apprentice book.
    Thank you, Rebe! I think I'll check it out.

Ahh, yes I think ours might have been the Apprentice. I went for the level below what was suggested in our kit because he's not had a lot of experience with solo writing.. Perhaps that was the problem & I should have gone with the suggested level.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

I have found an LA that we are loving this year...my 5 year old, 7 year old, 8 year old, 10 year old, and 13 year old(will be using as soon as the next level come out)...
    You can download and print it for free or buy it from them. www.jennyphillips.com My high schoolers are using cottage press. They also have lower levels, but I prefer the other for them. The one from jennyphillips is called The Good and the Beautiful. The LA has watercolors included in it.
    Miranda 20, Cassandra 17, Jonathan 16, Sarah 13, Hannah 11, Rachel 9, Abigail 7, Rebecca 5, Jonah 3, Emma 1