Thread: 10th grader...

Default 10th grader...

What history and literature/writing/grammar is your 10th grader using?
    Thank you
    Miranda 20, Cassandra 17, Jonathan 16, Sarah 13, Hannah 11, Rachel 9, Abigail 7, Rebecca 5, Jonah 3, Emma 1

We're using Winterpromise Royals and Revolutionaries for history. I think it's supposed to count as an English credit, too (Heather, is that correct? If not, you could easily make it so by adding on a couple of extra books.). I do know it has a Bible Study section for a "Bible" credit, but we aren't doing that.

For English, I'm teaching a General Lit. class a coop (I was an English teacher), so that's what we're doing for that. My dd LOVES English and History, though, which is why it doesn't bother me to "add" extra onto Winterpromise -- this is HER area, and it's not too much for her. If this were not the case, I'd definitely just do some "add ons" with Winterpromise (i.e., they "suggest" you watch a couple of Shakespeare plays, I'd definitely DO that (we did that last year with history), etc. If you need more info, just ask, and I can give you ideas -- I do think it depends on your child. Like I said, mine LOVES history/English, so adding is nothing for her. If I had a non-Englishy child, I wouldn't add much because they have you reading Dickens and The Scarlet Pimpernil.)

For grammar, she's using Bob Jones 10th grade grammar (I alternate years between Bob Jones and Abeka for grammar for middle and high school).
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

We used Hewitt's Lightning Literature. We did British Lit, Early to Mid and Mid to Late. For American Literature, we used LLATL, gold book. We also use Easy Grammar. We also did One Year Adventure Novel. My dd did it her 9th grade year, then did it again her 10th grade year.

MOH for history, and Excellence in Literature.
    Robin, wife for 20 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 18yo Belle; 16yo Kitty; 12yo Princess, and 10yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016: Be her.

We're using WinterPromise Royals to Revolution for our 9th and 11th graders this year. Paige- usually there is another english component for WP, but I'm not sure.

We use Excellence in Literature, WinterPromise (various themed units), One Year Adventure Novel for English and History courses in high school. Along with a US History and the American Government/Econ credits.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (18 ds, 16 dd, 14 ds, 11 ds).

My ds used:
    Figuratively Speaking
    Phonetic Zoo spelling
    Excellence in Literature
    IEW Level C Continuation DVDs: http://iew.com/shop/products/student...course-level-c

Diana Waring's World History CDs: http://www.dianawaring.com/store/his...um/cd-packages
    Julie, ds (17) dd (14)
    Word of the year: 2008-Be still, 2009-Abundance, 2010-Purity, 2011-Feed, 2012-Time, 2013-Relationships, 2014-Words, 2015-Community, 2016-Marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    We're using Winterpromise Royals and Revolutionaries for history. I think it's supposed to count as an English credit, too (Heather, is that correct? If not, you could easily make it so by adding on a couple of extra books.). I do know it has a Bible Study section for a "Bible" credit, but we aren't doing that.
    WP has seperate LA. After Level 6 it changes a bit in how it works, & basically your child sends their work to WP & they grade it. We haven't used that portion of their LA, all though we did use the other levels which could use some minor updates.

--
    We use Sonlight, MUS, IEW, & Apologia to hit all the main subject areas.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

My 10th grader is using Lightning Literature for English (part 1 American literature first semester and "Mama's choice" second semester) and The American Odyssey (along with a TON of resources) for History. The literature books she will read includes the following:
    Benjamin Franklin,*Autobiography
    Fredrick Douglas, Narrative of Frederick Douglass' Life
    Washington Irving, The*Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle
    Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter, *
    Herman Melville, Moby Dick
    Mark Twain,*The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    Jack London, The*Call of the Wild
    Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
    Harper Lee,*To Kill a Mockingbird
    Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Cage Bird Sings
    BELIEVE, IT'S OK (2015,2016).
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too