Thread: Deaf Kids

Question Deaf Kids

Anyone have Deaf and Hearing kids? We have three children, and my middle child is Deaf. Did you do anything special, and ideas or tips? We are new to FIAR..

Well, we might be the only ones.. We are about to do Lentil, and I'm not sure how we will get around the music part of the book?? Then again, I have two hearing kids that LOVE music! I feel guilty for enjoying music... Sorry, I guess I'm venting... Anyone have any suggestions?
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.

I'm not sure if I know of other moms with deaf children on the boards. But we're glad you're here!

Could your deaf child feel the bass thumping? You could teach the others the music lessons and teach your deaf child something different about music. Rhyme, lyrics, rhythm could all be learned by your deaf child. Could your deaf child feel the air coming through a harmonica?

Or if it's too hard to handle this time (emotionally), just let it go. Everyone will still love the book!
    Melissa, Five in a Row Staff - Community Manager
    Robert's my man. Jacob, 13, and Mattie, 9, entertain me and keep me on my knees!
    "Once your enemy, now seated at your table. Jesus, thank you!" ~ Sovereign Grace Music

You could show them how to count time on your legs. Like your right hand would beat out quarter notes and your left hand would beat out half notes. If they get that, their feet could do whole notes.
    You have indeed been called into ministry. Be careful that you don't scorn it in persuit of something bigger or better in the world's eyes. -- Lis in Maine

Hi Eva!

I homeschooled my 3 kids. My boys are both severely HOH. My dd is hearing.

I used Animusic to teach a few basic musical ideas. It was easy to teach unison and vibrato; both are demonstrated by the first song on the first DVD. Besides, Animusic is just amazing to watch.
    Shannon, wife to long time sweetheart Gary, mom to DS(24), DS(21) and DD(19)
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, an untold number of electrons were severely inconvenienced.

She might like that!! Thanks!!! We did the Christmas Lights display houses on Youtube...you know the ones where people set their lights to music?!? Then I pointed some beats out and then gave up & let them dance to around the living room to the music and lights, LOL!
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.

So if any come behind...I found Make Way for Ducklings in ASL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EZL1xi5P88