Thread: 8yo boy - writing and LA?

Default 8yo boy - writing and LA?

I am coming back to FIAR and was planning to just add math and some sort of writing/LA for my son. He tells everyone he is a third grader but with a May birthday I would really be fine with him being a second grader. I would say he is working closer on that level in most subjects. He is a really strong reader - doesn't enjoy it. His handwriting is pretty bad, I think he just needs to write more.

I am thinking of just adding Simply Charlotte Masons spelling program. Just dictation/copy work. Or picking something from our FIAR readings.

We have Catholic Heritage Language of God, it just seems so disconnected to real life. And I know anything he has done there is just in and out of his brain.

My husband is concerned that we do better with the 8yo. My oldest went to high school and has said he wished he did more writing as it really showed in HS that he hadn't had much. My fault, we have always been really relaxed.

Anyway, thanks.
    Christi
    Wife to Bryan, mama to Wheatley(18) attending Walsh University, Veronica(13)with down syndrome, Ephraim(8), and Loretta(5)

Simply Charlotte Mason doesn't recommend Spelling Wisdom until fourth grade. They would recommend copywork and oral narration before that. Narration really is the first step to writing. It helps them get their thoughts out so later they can put them on paper. Here is an excellent thread on the SCM forum about writing. Hope you find what works.

By the way, I have kids who write well and kids who struggle but some of them do a fine job but just don't enjoy it. It isn't always the teacher's fault!

https://simplycharlottemason.com/scm...riting-advice/

Are you looking for confirmation that SCM plus dictation/copywork is enough, or are you looking for suggestions for other materials?

Around 3rd my big kids actually enjoyed adding BJU English to their work load. It alternates - one chapter of grammar, one chapter of writing throughout the year. Each writing assignment is broken down into itty-bitty manageable pieces, so it never feels overwhelming.

I always link any writing assignments to whatever else we are studying in the rest of our schoolwork. For example, if they are assigned a paragraph using time-order words they could write about the recipe in Cranberry Thanksgiving, what we saw during our museum field trip, or well, whatever else is going on during that particular week.
    Learning with A, J, and B

"We need to be the people we want our children to become." ~ Rafe

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl in NH View Post
    Are you looking for confirmation that SCM plus dictation/copywork is enough, or are you looking for suggestions for other materials?

Around 3rd my big kids actually enjoyed adding BJU English to their work load. It alternates - one chapter of grammar, one chapter of writing throughout the year. Each writing assignment is broken down into itty-bitty manageable pieces, so it never feels overwhelming.

I always link any writing assignments to whatever else we are studying in the rest of our schoolwork. For example, if they are assigned a paragraph using time-order words they could write about the recipe in Cranberry Thanksgiving, what we saw during our museum field trip, or well, whatever else is going on during that particular week.
    Good question. I think I am looking for recommendations of things to use with him. He is guy who likes a pile of work that he can check off or move to the done bin. He's not a big fan of vague, working on things with mom tasks. Thanks.
    Christi
    Wife to Bryan, mama to Wheatley(18) attending Walsh University, Veronica(13)with down syndrome, Ephraim(8), and Loretta(5)

Have you looked at the new Writers In Residence? It's meant to be used across a span of ages/grades. I'm not sure it's aimed at 2nd graders, but you could email the author to ask. She's very responsive to communication with her curriculum users.

FWIW, I know many homeschoolers who go to school & say the very same thing about writing, even children who've done a lot. Sometimes it's because writing under pressure {timed essays & so on} is harder. Writing also comes easier for some kids than others, kwim? Another option which is very gentle & enjoyable is Writing With Ease. We've used that one over the Spelling Wisdom that SCM offers as we preferred it. With a 2nd/3rd grader you could easily start with Volume 2 or 3 & work through it, & then consider something a bit more in a year or two.

ETA: Volume 3 of Writing With Ease is set up for the student to do on their own more then with the parent, but it's not a Solo Writing programme. I think you may find it hard to find a solo writing programme for a child that young.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.