Thread: dealing with chronic illness

Default dealing with chronic illness

It is so hard for our dc who have chronic illness. But it is also draining for the parents sometimes, as well. It's important that we mamas keep ourselves healthy so we have the energy to help our kids. It is also painful to watch our kids struggle, and can be so very overwhelming and discouraging at times.

How do you cope in dealing with your child(ren)'s special needs, chronic illness, health and learning struggles? How do you overcome when life threatens to overwhelm?

Let's have a discussion.
    Robin, wife for 20 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 18yo Belle; 16yo Kitty; 13yo Princess, and 10yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016: Be her.

I exercise regularly. Until last May, I ran about 25 miles a week and trained with friends for local races. Running is something that takes my mind off blood sugar and attention problems. No one needs me to find something, cook something, or solve anything while I run.

While I'm waiting for knee surgery, I've had to adapt my activities. Even if I detest riding a stationary bike, at least I can tire myself out.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (9)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

I wrote a post about homeschooling kids with chronic illness.

As for me, I escape through creating and walking. One of my kids loves to be outdoors and draw and explore. I take her out and she can do whatever. I take pictures, walk, and think about writing.

I also walk in the evenings usually- not any place special. Believe it or not, I walk in my house in the large circle on our first floor. I need predictable walking which indoors provides.

Creation is mostly blogging these days but also paper crafting.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (18 ds, 16 dd, 14 ds, 11 ds).

I have recently started coloring, but I don't love it.. I have also gotten back into reading which I love so much! I should be exercising...Refit is calling my name again!
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.