Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 is here! What are you rowing in January?

Default 2017 is here! What are you rowing in January?

Today is a math/language arts only kind of day. Tomorrow Hannah and I start Beyond and The Boxcar Children. She's my reluctant reader, so I may be reading aloud until she gets used to the idea. This weekend I was excited to discover that I hadn't thrown out my lesson plans from Beyond Volume 1 from the last time we rowed.

What does everyone else have planned?
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (9)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Dd11 will also be starting The Boxcar Children, but not until next week. I decided we need a restful week before we begin. I am a little nervous about our first BY book! Any suggestiond from those who've rowed BY before?

Ds6 will start with A Pair of Red Clogs and then move to Little Nino's Pizzeria. Fun!

After our first BY book last fall, we're back to Vol. 4 (my favorite volume of all!) and rowing Snowflake Bentley. Our other Vol. 4 book this month will be Hanna's Cold Winter. I'm SO glad I trusted that FIAR would be good for this older child. I'm doing everything a year or two later with him that with my others, but it's perfect for him. He's getting so much out of it and is more mature now (in some ways).

We did the Borax snowflake project today after reading. During the reading and the project, all three of my olders wandered through the rooms and said (even with nostalgia in their voices), "Oh, I remember doing that! I remember that book!" Little things like that warm my heart and make everything worthwhile!
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 20 * artist dd 18 * motion-loving ds 15 * piano-playing ds 10
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

We are finishing up Clown of God this week...am I the only one that teared up reading this one?!?

We have our list for the month:

Katie and the Big Snow We are driving up to Lake Tahoe to see the snow later in the week!!!

Stopping by Woods

The Rag Coat

Very Last First Time I just saw that this is themed "Ocean Life" and we are going to Homeschool Days at the Monterey Bay Aquarium that week!
    Last edited by Evadiva; 01-02-2017 at 02:20 PM.
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.

Evadiva, I don't think you're alone--Clown of God is a very special book. Very Last First Time is another one of our favorites!

I have a confession...seeing this thread made me freak out a little! I thought I'd be ready to start back to school by now, but we have been enjoying our break so much that it really caught me off guard. So Sunday, I decided that we'd "ease in" to school by doing a half week, and start on Wed. It sounds more official when I say it that way, rather than admitting that I was just totally unprepared.

So, no rowing this week, probably just hitting the basics to get used to the routine again. I know that Hannah's Cold Winter is coming up for us, as well as Roxaboxen. Not sure what else; that may be all the FIAR we get to this month. I guess I'm going to have to get back to reality and start planning soon!
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).

We start back to school next week. With my two youngers we're rowing Madeline and Andy and the Lion and with my olders we're rowing Grass Sandals and the Hickory Chair
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd9 1/2, ds8, ds6 1/2 and ds5.

We're easing into things this week, but I have not had a day off in order to sit and plan, so I'm hoping to get some of that done this week

I really want to plan my SPRING We're headed on a massive "out West" trip this summer (flying to Denver, going to Yellowstone, Great Falls, MT., WY, SD ......), so I have many things I want to cover this spring....

* Cowboy Charlie (we're going to the Charles Russel Art Museum in MT and his homestead )
    * Teddy Roosevelt unit and the National Parks
    * Lewis and Clark study (we'll jump start this will Mailing May and will then read some chapter books about Lewis and Clark)
    * some Oregon Trail info (we've already done a bit of this, but I want to do a bit more) -- we read Apples to Oregon earlier this year, but I want to hit on it a bit more, but since we've studied this a bit more than the others (at least that the boys remember ), this will probably be last
    *and I need to look through my books and see what I'm missing -- can ya'll think of another "out West" FIAR book (Amber on the Mountain????)

I will most likely cover the above in that order and will start with Cowboy Charlie next week -- I just need to get things/ideas ON the calendar
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Paige P,
    Isn't Three Names out West somewhere? I don't think I have a copy of it to check (I think I gave it to someone needing it) but someone else must have one. It's on the "get" list when I have money and don't find other books on sale....

Jill in Monrovia

Quote Originally Posted by Jill in Monrovia View Post
    Paige P,
    Isn't Three Names out West somewhere? I don't think I have a copy of it to check (I think I gave it to someone needing it) but someone else must have one. It's on the "get" list when I have money and don't find other books on sale....

Jill in Monrovia
    Yes, it is! And, I think they have the one room schoolhouse. I need to revisit that one -- it's been a good while since I rowed it with the girls.

This is exactly why I asked..... There are many I'm SO familiar with, and then a good number that I rowed once many years ago with the girls and need to go back and re-row with the boys, and I can't remember ALL of the book and their locations without them in front of me
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Not sure if this will still be relevant to most of you, but I found a fun page of ideas for "back to school" after winter break just now. There are some great games/printables for elementary age kids. http://happyteacherhappykids.com/sur...n=TwitterPosts I may survive heading back to school yet!

PS: Here's a fun 2016 year in review/2017 goal setting printable for your kids to complete: http://www.thirtyhandmadedays.com/pr...for-kids-2017/
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).