Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January 2017 Read-Alouds

Default January 2017 Read-Alouds

Hello FIAR Friends!

What read-alouds are you kicking off the new year with?

We are continuing to read Homer Price at the pace of one chapter a week to coincide with our Beyond FIAR studies.
    I also started Anne of Green Gables yesterday. I am fairly confident the girls will love it, I am hoping that Logan enjoys it some too. After the first chapter, everyone was excited to realize that the Cuthbert's would not be picking up the boy they "ordered." As my 10yo said, "Mom, the book is called Anne of Green Gables after all. We know the orphan isn't a boy!."

We have several friends that have adopted children and several more families in our church that have adopted or foster children. I didn't really think about that when I picked up the book, I was just excited to share it with my girls because I loved it when I was their age. After reading the first chapter and hearing Mrs. Lynde's protest to bringing an orphan into the home, my 8yo was both incredulous and indignant. She couldn't fathom a community where no one is adopted. It was an unexpected blessing as a parent, to realize that adoption was normal to her.
    Last edited by Angela Rose; 01-05-2017 at 12:41 PM.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

I'm looking forward to reading Anne of Green Gables with my kids sometime soon! I figure we'll wait until we're done with the Little House books. We will start on The Long Winter soon.

Right now we're almost done with A Year Down Yonder.

I have never read Anne of Green Gables. People who know me are always astounded to hear that.

After a season of Christmas books, we have started Little Town on the Prairie and now I see that my ds is going to want to finish the entire series. I really wasn't sure that would happen, so I didn't get my hopes up, but he loves it.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Rebe, I never read the Anne books until I was almost 30! I was mostly curious to figure out what all the fuss was about. I was hooked instantly, and read the entire series! I read the first one again with my girls a few years ago, and they loved it.

We took a break from the Tomie dePaola series (26 Fairmount Ave.) for Christmas break, so I'm hoping we'll get through at least 2-3 more titles this month.
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).

We read through the whole Anne of Green Gables series with my kids a year or so ago. I kept expecting them to want to be done at the end of the current book, especially the youngest kids, but they kept asking for the next book. I think it helped that we live on PEI and we went to visit various places connected with Anne during our year of reading. My oldest and I also went to see Anne and Gilbert: The Musical when they had a special homeschool discount (that one of the moms in our homeschool community negotiated). It was fabulously done! I have not seen the Anne of Green Gables Musical, but I hope at some point we can get discounted tickets to that as well.

We just finished reading Frindle by Andrew Clements, and it was so fun! I know my kids will want to read more books by him. We are going to read Lassie Come Home next, and after that I'm not sure.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Rose View Post
    Hello FIAR Friends!

What read-alouds are you kicking off the new year with?

We are continuing to read Homer Price at the pace of one chapter a week to coincide with our Beyond FIAR studies.
    I also started Anne of Green Gables yesterday. I am fairly confident the girls will love it, I am hoping that Logan enjoys it some too. After the first chapter, everyone was excited to realize that the Cuthbert's would not be picking up the boy they "ordered." As my 10yo said, "Mom, the book is called Anne of Green Gables after all. We know the orphan isn't a boy!."

We have several friends that have adopted children and several more families in our church that have adopted or foster children. I didn't really think about that when I picked up the book, I was just excited to share it with my girls because I loved it when I was their age. After reading the first chapter and hearing Mrs. Lynde's protest to bringing an orphan into my home, my 8yo was both incredulous and indignant. She couldn't fathom a community where no one is adopted. It was an unexpected blessing as a parent, to realize that adoption was normal to her.
    As an adoptive mom, this makes me so happy!!!! <3
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.

We're currently reading A Long Way From Chicago. It's a fun book!
    Rachel, mommy to Max and Zoe - 15, Abby - 12, and Sam, 9
    Moving at the speed of homeschool

Glad to have the book ideas, ladies!

Sunshine, my girls LOVED Frindle. My oldest is actually reading aloud to me About Average by Andrew Clements this very week.

We're on the hunt for our next read aloud... I have requested the S. D. Smith book, The Green Ember, from the library, but I don't know when it will be available.

I keep wanting to read through the Little House books with my kids (I read the first couple when my oldest girls were about 5 & 6 maybe) but I keep thinking they'll want to turn it into a unit, and I don't want to step away from FIAR. Anyone read, and then read again with a unit at some other time?

Anne of Green Gables!! - loved it when I was younger, and my oldest has read it already, but I'd love to read that one, too

So many books to choose from!!
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd11, d10, ds8, dd5, dd4

I friend from church gave the girls the entire Little House Books Set! So we started Little House In The Big Woods today! Read-a-loud looks a little different in our house since it has to be read in both languages...we love it!
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.

Interesting chatter about Anne with an e It's on our list of reads this year as well. Not sure we'll start it in January as it's back to school after summer holidays here. We might just run with Stowaway to kick our our Aussie studies.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.