Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: January 2017 Read-Alouds

Mindy and Sunshine, we read both Frindle and About Average and a ton of other Andrew Clements books last year and my kids LOVED them. I had read a lot by him before, but had held off because I didn't know if my kids would enjoy them since they're so school heavy, but he is such a good story teller that it doesn't matter. If you haven't watched the RAR author event he did, you definitely need to--I think it's free for everyone.

ETA: Here is the link!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    We're currently reading A Long Way From Chicago. It's a fun book!
    I LOVE Richard Peck. He is one of my most favorite authors!!
    Last edited by Jen in OK; 01-05-2017 at 07:44 AM.

We finally bought The Green Ember on audible (our first audible book ever), so that's our first read (listen) aloud of the year! My voice won't let me read aloud this season so I'm relying on audio. Good thing there are such things as librovox and audible (if I ever figure out how to use it).
    Loving, living, and learning with Silas (11) Cedric (10) Aria (7) Titus (5)

Jen - It is a good time of year to read "The Long Winter." I love that one - enjoy!
    Will you be reading another 100 books this year?

Rebe- I'm so glad you will get to finish out The Little House series, how fun!
    You really must read Anne of Green Gables. Really.

Eva - Is both languages, English and ASL? Do you do both the reading and the signing?

Vicki - I need to check out those de Poala books, I've never read those. He will be a guest for one of the Read Aloud Revival's author events later this year.

Sunshine - Frindle was the first Andrew Clements book we read and we all loved it too. The video Jen linked to is great. Have the kids watch it with you, they will be inspired!

Rachel - I've never hear of that book, I'll have to check it out.

Mindy - I haven't done a unit with "The Little House" books, but I have re-read books a second time with a lesson or unit. It worked out just fine for us and books like "The Little House" books are so rich, they are easy to re-read.

Kendra - My sister is living in Towneville now and is enjoying Christmas in the summer. She went to a pool party with friends.

Jekka - I just bought that too and it will only be our second Audible book. I also just figured it out - good job! The first book we listened too was A Christmas Carol.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Wow, Angela, I have a homeschool friend up in Towneville.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

I doubt we'll make 100 books this year, but we will keep track!

Jen, thanks for that link! My Madeleine just LOVES Andrew Clements!

I hate it when we're "between" books, especially when we're out of routine, because a read aloud is our constant. We are back from the theater today, and plan to have some hot chocolate (and a book, of course!) and I think I will just have to grab something off the shelf -- eek!!
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd10, dd9, ds7, dd5, dd3

I can sim-com, but it's so hard and can lead to mistakes so I normal have one person (eldest DD, or hubs) read in English and the other person translate to ASL off what is being said it English. It's harder for me to convert written text to ASL than listening in English and converting to ASL...weird, right?
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.

Thank you for the link Jen! My kids especially loved hearing the story of where the idea for Frindle came from.

And I have decided that after Lassie Come Home we will read Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd9 1/2, ds8, ds6 1/2 and ds5.

We're reading Anne of Green Gables too! I have never read it before now and it is absolutely delightful. My youngest loves Anne. My oldest two have read it, but they are handing in there with it. Well, my 18yo son is hanging in there. My 16yo daughter is enjoying it!

I'm reading The Unseen Guest with my 11yo. You simply have to read the Incorrigible Children series. Must!

I'd like to finish off Little Women with my daughter so we can watch the movie. The 1994 version with Winona Ryder.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (18 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Angela - I've never read any of his books but I LOVE A Long Way From Chicago!! I think it's great! My kids, strangely, are kind of just so so. I don't care... I'll read the next one after this one too.

Jen - I can see why you would like it! I do too!

I think I'm going to start Mr. Popper's Penguins either today or tomorrow with my youngest guy. Two of mine have already read it and I wanted to do a unit study with it but honestly I think I'll just have to read the book.
    Rachel, mommy to Max and Zoe - 15, Abby - 12, and Sam, 9
    Moving at the speed of homeschool