Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 2 (January 8th - January 14th)

Jekka Renee, glad you're joining us this year! I used to be a "one book at a time" kind of reader, but in the last few years it's worked better for me to have multiple books at once. Usually, I have one fiction, one non-fiction, and (sometimes) a book of poetry/essays/etc. going at the same time. I find that this works better for me than sticking only with a non-fiction, for instance. I can pick up whichever one I'm in the mood for, and this gives me permission to only read a chapter or so at a time of the non-fiction without missing out on the "fun" of reading other things! I just don't like to do more than one fiction at a time, so that I don't mix up the plots.

Hope this helps--I know this method won't work for everyone, but it does for me so I thought I'd share!
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).

Hi reading friends! Glad you're here Jekka, and love everyone's new pics!

I just finished The Undoing of Saint Silvanus by Beth Moore. It was enjoyable, and an impressive fiction debut for her. It kind of got to the point where I felt like the book was finished, but it dragged on a little as the author tied up loose ends. It wasn't annoying to me, but may be to some. There were clear Christian themes that may feel overdone to someone who doesn't like that in fiction, but I didn't mind it.

I just started Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. It hasn't grabbed me yet, and I hope it picks up. I remember it being mentioned here, and have heard from other sources that it is a good book. So, does it pick up? Is it depressing? It is sure starting out that way. I'm not in the mood for depressing.
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

Jekka, that's great that you're enjoying Faulkner. I just can't get into his books. Now, I haven't tried in 25 years, but way back when, I just couldn't, so it kind of turned me off and I haven't tried since.

Kathleen, I liked The Snow Child. It's kind of fairy-tale-ish. I don't remember it being depressing, but it was a few years ago and I can't remember the details of it.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Vicki - I used to read many books at a time and several a month. Lately, I can't concentrate on more than one at a time, so that's why I'm trying to alternate. We read like you're describing for school, and I actually think it's a much better system.

Rebe - Faulkner is not for everyone. I enjoy him only in small dosages (like once every two years or so.)
    Loving, living, and learning with Silas (11) Cedric (10) Aria (7) Titus (5)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    What do I start with if I want to read her books?
    I'm reading Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Writer's Lifehttps://www.amazon.com/Laura-Ingalls...a+writers+life. I love it -- it's a really good summary of ... well, everything a LIW fan wants to know about how her real life corresponded to her fictional life.
    Rebe, I started with "A Fine Romance" and I think it's perfectly fine to start with that. No harm done, if you know what I mean, and it is my favorite of all three. But, it's not in order, and if you're like me and prefer to read books in order, I would start with "The Fairy Tale Girl" first, followed by "Martha's Vineyard: Isle of Dreams", and finally, "A Fine Romance". I usually have a rule of not reading the same author back-to-back, of spacing them out a bit.
    We also love Frances McDormand.
    I haven't read all of the LIW books (not even close!) and am wondering if I would like the bio. I love biographies and memoirs.
    "Give me a room whose every nook is dedicated to a book." - Robert Southey

Quote Originally Posted by Jekka Renee View Post
    Last week, I decided to start the year with the first book I saw on my shelves that I haven't yet read, which turned out to be Intruder in the Dust by William Faulkner - it's not my favorite Faulkner, but it's more readable than many.
    Jekka, it's lovely to see you here.
    I haven't read anything by Faulkner yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki P in VA View Post
    Love your bright colors!
    Thank you, Vicki.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    Negin, over Christmas I won a drawing on Susan Branch's blog.
    Joy, I had no idea! That's wonderful and I'm delighted for you ! I remember you mentioned that you visit her blog. I keep telling myself to go there more often and keep forgetting. How can we see your drawing? Can you send us a link or post an attachment?

Quote Originally Posted by Jekka Renee View Post
    I told myself I would alternate between fiction and non-fiction this year, but that book is so pondering it might as well be non-fiction, so I decided to read G. K. Chesterton's The Man Who Knew Too Much instead. I'm assuming breaking my resolved rotation at first chance is a better route than trying to stick with it at all.
    One of my friends recommended Chesterton to me (another one that I haven't read yet). I wonder if the Hitchcock movie is based on the book?

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    I just started Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. It hasn't grabbed me yet, and I hope it picks up. I remember it being mentioned here, and have heard from other sources that it is a good book. So, does it pick up? Is it depressing? It is sure starting out that way. I'm not in the mood for depressing.
    Kathleen, I don't think it was depressing. I remember liking it fine, but not loving it. Here's my review in case you're curious (no spoilers, I don't think). Mind you, most of my friends on Good Reads who have similar tastes to me when it comes to books, gave it 5 stars. I had given it 3 stars.
    Last edited by Negin; 01-10-2017 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Negin View Post
    Rebe, I started with "A Fine Romance" and I think it's perfectly fine to start with that. No harm done, if you know what I mean, and it is my favorite of all three. But, it's not in order, and if you're like me and prefer to read books in order, I would start with "The Fairy Tale Girl" first, followed by "Martha's Vineyard: Isle of Dreams", and finally, "A Fine Romance". I usually have a rule of not reading the same author back-to-back, of spacing them out a bit.
    We also love Frances McDormand.
    I haven't read all of the LIW books (not even close!) and am wondering if I would like the bio. I love biographies and memoirs.
    Thanks for the order -- yes, I like to read things in order.

This bio I'm reading isn't flashy or gorgeously written or anything like that. I like that because I've read so much about her already that it's good to read something shorter and more concise, and this focuses specifically on what made her the writer that she eventually became. Also, I agree 100% with this particular author's take on her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane. You'll find that that's where much of the controversy lies, in how people view her. Not just "did she really write her mother's books?" (she most definitely did not), but what kind of a person was she, where did her own talents lie, what was her motivation and relationship with her mother, etc. I'm not a fan of Rose for many reasons (partly because of things I observed on my visits to the LIW home), and some bios portray her with rose-colored glasses, for sure. This author is more realistic and factual, in my opinion.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    This bio I'm reading isn't flashy or gorgeously written or anything like that. I like that because I've read so much about her already that it's good to read something shorter and more concise, and this focuses specifically on what made her the writer that she eventually became. Also, I agree 100% with this particular author's take on her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane. You'll find that that's where much of the controversy lies, in how people view her. Not just "did she really write her mother's books?" (she most definitely did not), but what kind of a person was she, where did her own talents lie, what was her motivation and relationship with her mother, etc. I'm not a fan of Rose for many reasons (partly because of things I observed on my visits to the LIW home), and some bios portray her with rose-colored glasses, for sure. This author is more realistic and factual, in my opinion.
    Rebe, thanks so much for that. I'm adding it to my list.

WOWSA! SO many great reading suggestions! My reading has been very productive. Since last week's check in, I finished reading Brown Girl Dreaming, Ways to Disappear by Idra Novey, Banana by Dan Keppel, Troublemaker by Leah Remini and Mrs. Bridge by Evan Connell. I HIGHLY recommend Ways to Disappear.I've read so many positive reviews that I honestly didn't think it would live up to the hype. A book about a translator? As a reader, I was entertained, moved, intrigued and...couldn't put this book down. NOTE...I am NOT saying that about Banana. I now know a great deal about bananas. More than I ever imagined wanting to KNOW! EVEN if you love bananas...this might be a difficult read. Perhaps it's me. (CONFESSION: a little part of me is really wanting to say "Perhaps...I"m just...bananas." Sorry...can't help it..). Currently I'm reading another "I don't think it will live up to the hype" novel, Plover. YOWSA! I'm so glad that yesterday was my birthday because I had a fabulous excuse to hide away tucked into the pages and read, read, read. LOVE, LOVE this book so far. Thanks so much Stacia!!! FABULOUS read! Happy reading friends! I've been waking up at 5am and sneaking in some extra reading time. I'm not sure how long this will last but for now, it's been lovely.
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I'm so glad that yesterday was my birthday

(CONFESSION: a little part of me is really wanting to say "Perhaps...I"m just...bananas." Sorry...can't help it..).

I HIGHLY recommend Ways to Disappear.I've read so many positive reviews that I honestly didn't think it would live up to the hype. A book about a translator? As a reader, I was entertained, moved, intrigued and...couldn't put this book down.
    So glad to hear that it more than meets the hype. It is definitely on my to-read list now. Thanks!

Currently I'm reading another "I don't think it will live up to the hype" novel, Plover. YOWSA! I'm so glad that yesterday was my birthday because I had a fabulous excuse to hide away tucked into the pages and read, read, read. LOVE, LOVE this book so far. Thanks so much Stacia!!! FABULOUS read! Happy reading friends! I've been waking up at 5am and sneaking in some extra reading time. I'm not sure how long this will last but for now, it's been lovely.
    So glad you're loving it, Michele! It's an amazing book, imo.

I was reading Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood for a January Murakami reading challenge; however, at the not-quite-halfway mark in Norwegian Wood, I started to feel "meh" about it. I think my problem is that I rarely read series, rarely read multiple books by the same author (even if each novel is independent & not in a series)... mainly because I get tired of an author's style if I read it too often. (For me, "too often" probably means sooner than every five years or so. ) I do have some exceptions to my rule, but they are very few & far between (Kurt Vonnegut; Stoker's Dracula; maybe Terry Pratchett). For example, Donna Tartt has written three books, all of which I've enjoyed or loved. They have come out about twelve years apart & I think that's a pretty good time/distance for me. I have read Murakami's fiction quite a bit more often than that in the last few years & I'm just getting bored with his writing style I guess. I have nothing against Norwegian Wood & would probably be loving it if I hadn't already read quite a few of his books or had waited many years before embarking on this one, but I'm just not that interested. So, I decided to abandon it. Maybe I would enjoy it in another five to ten years. Lol.

Instead, I have now started a non-fiction work from Murakami, Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche. So far, the interviews I've read have been with survivors of the attack; almost all talk about their work, or heading immediately to work after the attack, or how soon they got back to work after being incapacitated. I'm not surprised having worked at Japanese companies for so many years, yet I think it would be surprising if you were not familiar with that style of thinking, of existing.

I'm finding it really interesting so I think trying a Murakami non-fiction was definitely the way for me to approach him this year!

On a different note.... I returned the copy of By Gaslight I had to the library on Monday. It was put on the "new books" shelf & faces the area where I work. I was curious to see how long it would be there before someone would pick it up. Yesterday afternoon, I arrived to work. As I walked out front & met with my first patron, it was a lady who I had spoken with the previous week & to whom I had recommended By Gaslight (but I was still reading it then). It was that lady & she had just picked up the copy to check out based on my recommendation. Hope she enjoys it!

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!