Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday DECLUTTERING!

CH1 - I got a couple loads in this. morning...but I need to work on making the laundry room easier to work in. It's a narrow room, and the "mud room" (between outside deck and kitchen) so it can get clogged up and I can hardly get to the washing machine & dryer. It is especially hard to get to the hanging rack. HOWEVER, thankful to have a laundry room! (Says someone who didn't have one before moving into this old house.)

CH2 - How do you ladies assign reading? If I hand R10 the book, she reads it in a day, maybe two. I can't keep her in books. Today I had D9 read the book to me so that I would know she is reading it. We just don't have a good system for "assigned" reading. But I'm not too worried since they love to read.

Heather, sorry you injured your foot. Glad your trip went well so far today.

Jen, I've always done at least a load a day. I have especially liked building the recent habit of having it all folded and put away in the afternoon so I can feel like I'm "done" with laundry for the day. (I know, who am I kidding? I'm never done with laundry! ) I hope you can find a way to make your laundry room more "inviting" (if that's possible). Mine was always super cold so I put a space heater, and that helped. What about listening to a podcast while you have to be in there? I also have put up some of the kids art work and a pic of DH and I. Seems silly since I'm the only one that ever sees those things way back in the narrow part of the laundry room...but it helps.

Amy - I agree with everyone else about your time being valuable, however I can relate to how you're feeling. I'm usually the one that compromises myself (er, lets others walk all over me, especially family). Praying for you And for your mom to do her therapy.

Lindsey, I love that you had time to think when you got away. And the legos with educational videos sound really awesome. We've done audio books here, but need some new ideas. What kinds of video? I am going to keep this idea in my back pocket for when we have snow/bad weather this weekend.

It was super windy here yesterday, Michelle.

Since I posted last:
    kids watched Magic School bus while I checked/sent an e-mail & made them lunch
    lunch & I didn't read today. Instead we talked about being nice to each other, brainstormed ideas on how we might use nicer words/stop bickering. Not sure how effective that was...but I'm just growing so tired of it
    cleaned up lunch
    walk to the park
    sent everyone to their room for a quiet time
    caught up here

I am not sure what is going on with my children...but they have just been CRANKY today. While we were at the park I thought it would be fun to play a game running around. Problem is, it turned competitive (and apparently, not fun) and 3 were crying within 2 minutes of the game. My 9year old cried/threw a fit the entire walk home. When she game in, I was so gentle with her, and she just doesn't know why she's so weepy/frustrated. Sounds like the emotions you were talking about in pre-teen girls, Robin. I love my sweet little kids...and my big girls growing up sometimes scares me Today has been a day in which I am reminded it really is out of my control. I cannot make it a good day. Even when I started with donuts!

Up next:
    have kids help fold/put away laundry
    "tea" snack
    Piano lessons
    make tacos
    baths

Now the kids are emerging and quiet time is over. Have a great afternoon friends!

- - - Updated - - -

April - amazing photo!!! I miss the snow we had in AK!
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd11, dd9, ds7, dd5, dd4

Good afternoon!

Dd had fun at PE, which I knew she would! And now she is playing with the neighbor.

We picked up the dry cleaning and I walked for half an hour while the kids were in PE.

When we were reading this morning, I realized the back yard looked awful. There were leaves everywhere and something about the design of the house and the wind make a lot of them come on the back porch. So when we got home from PE I swept, raked, and then mulched them all with the mower. I think it was the equivalent of mowing the lawn about 3 times, but it was worth it.

I gathered laundry for tomorrow's load. I always at least one load a day, if not more, but I am trying to pretty much just do one just for time management. And like Mindy said, I'd like to be DONE with that load--I'm bad about putting it away. So if I just do one load, maybe that will help with that. I know there will be some days when I have to do more--sheets, towels, swim stuff, etc., but hopefully I can do those on low key days. Once dh gets my clothes bar in there and the extra paint cans out, that will help a lot. In the mean time, I'll try to make some progress this week!

Now I need to finish up making dinner...

Good afternoon!

Welcome to the 5th day in a row of public school snow days! I've talked with local friends who teach in the schools, and they are ready to go back! We had 3ish inches of HEAVY snow last night which has made a slushy mess everywhere! Dh and I helped a neighbor down the street who was stuck in the road. Took about 30 minutes to get her parked in front of her house - she was less than 1 house away. It was then that I decided to reschedule our appts. for today.

done:
    • Reschedule my dentist appt.
    • Reschedule dd11's ortho appt. (was supposed to get braces on today)
    • Spent awhile clearing snow from half the drive way and the sidewalks
    • Paid dues for next semester of co-op
    • School with dc - went well again - in spite of starting after 11 because I was shoveling

Still to do:
    • Watch next Beth Moore video
    • Tidy downstairs - MESSY!!!
    • Send some emails
    • Read some of my book

Dh took the minivan to work because he was afraid his corolla would get stuck in the snow more easily. So we are just hanging at home again today. Glad we got to the library yesterday. Dc will skip bsf tonight. They are disappointed. They like going.

April - that looks almost similar to what it looks like here! I wish I could post photos still. Are your in-laws still in my area? I'm used to this kind of snow from E. Idaho and from the Midwest, but many of my neighbors have only seen this kind of snow in the mountains. They are so used to it melting in a few days and this has amazed them

Mindy - I just have dd11 read to herself for 30 minutes everyday. Probably would be good if I had a better plan. At least once a month I choose a book for her or she gets stuck in a rut.

Jen - I've always read about people recommending doing a load of laundry a day, but I don't like it that way. I prefer to take a day to do 4 or 5 loads and then be done for a while.

Cindy - that winter storm of 1978 is the first winter I remember. I was disappointed the next several years because I kept wondering where all the snow was I thought that the crazy amount of snow was supposed to be the regular amount of snow.

Heather - glad the appt. went well

Jen - I'm envious of your nice day outside

Lindsey - looks like you had a great day with Hudson today!

Paige - Just think, if we didn't homeschool, our homes might be amazingly clean!

Angela - enjoy your meal at the church

Amy - I think you are a very hard worker! I'm amazed at what you do daily and what you accomplish! Sorry your relative was giving you a guilt trip - very uncalled for!

This post has taken almost 2 hours to write because of kids needing help with school and other things. Hope everyone has a love evening!

Joelle -- smart move rescheduling

Jen -- way to go on the leaf clean up!

Mindy -- no idea about girls. I am and have been surrounded by boys for a long time (brothers, sons, great nephews) but want to give you a

April -- love the picture

Went to the event. Kids made 11 blankets. Then they played/hung out. It was nice.

Ds1 popped supper in the oven while I was on the way home.
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 19yo ds, 16yo ds

I need some ideas for gifts for my Secret Sister, I don't have much money but want to do something special for her birthday. And for other times the rest of the year. Any ideas???
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.

Michelle -- how about baking her something? You're good at that. You could send a simple meal is someone around her birthday or a breakfast casserole or???? Go buy some candy while it's on Christmas clearance (I saw some big packages of Hershey kisses with hazelnuts at Walgreens today). You could buy a cheap mug and fill it with candy.

Been home working on Animal Farm -- reading (well, re-reading, but it's been20 years ) and then planning some discussion topics, etc.

Dh told me to stay home and focus, and he took ok the girls to clogging. The boys went to play with their friends I got a lot accomplished

Jekka -- or anyone -- what do you add to your IP yogurt for flavors?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Whew! Am I ever thankful to be home. It has gotten worse since we arrived around 7pm. We expected the way home to be worse than the way there, but it was rather mild though we had to be careful. The wind is fierce and Dan went out to the mailbox and said there's a layer of ice on everything now. The radar shows heavy sleet/freezing rain falling all between here and where we were. So thankful!

Amy- I didn't comment earlier, but wow on the comment from your relative. I am at a loss for words on this one. I don't know what that person has going on in her life, but has she considered your situation lately? Your cares for your 16yo amaze me everyday and I don't know how anyone could think they have it harder just in terms of pure physical effort let alone anything else?! Seriously, friend. Stick to your boundary on this one without the guilt. I agree with Cindy to make another plan now for if she falls through.

Since lunch:
    • went to the bookstore- which was actually the university bookstore. At first it was cool. Then it was a drag. J was quite grumpy and I just decided we'd wait the rest of the time in the van and providentially, the guys were finished and were heading back to the van as well.
    • drove to the mall on the way home- with the LEGO store in it. One disappointed kid did not find the LEGO set he wanted. Hopes dashed. But, then I learned that it's not an exclusive set. Why did we make that stop and make the plan to go there?
    • went next door to the sleep number store- and tried out some beds and learned our sleep number I joked with Dan- let's find out our sleep number. I've seen those commercials so much I had to toss it out. He took me up on it and we laid on a bunch of beds. We do need a new mattress, but those sure are expensive!
    • picked up a snack at the mall and gas before heading home
    • headed for home- which took a long time
    • made dinner- which was super late
    • relaxed!

Now everyone is feeling better. E is sore. He's hurting from all the walking today. But, he loved the place. I mean REALLY loved. He goes to see Purdue next month, but if he gets a similar scholarship he's going to have a choice to make.

Get this. They don't have the typical freshman classes. You can start right in on your major except for one class. Writing. They split the whole freshman class into groups of 15 and they each make up a writing class. You get to choose your group based on your interest and there are classes on Lord of the Rings, Pokeman, Harry Potter, etc. They want you to write about something you love so that you will write well. WHAT? Oh my gosh. I thought you all would love this fact.

And they have just about as many opportunities for writing as his first choice. Do I know how to pick them or what? His two favorite places, I've picked. As in, I've said, why don't you take a look at Purdue. They have the OWL. Why not University of Rochester? Check out their writing majors. He applied to both and he's beyond excited. He's given me credit. Says I'm good at this. Credit taken. Praise received!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (18 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Heather -- love hearing about E being excited

Paige -- thanks for ideas I am not sure I can cook or bake for her. She follows a special diet and I get really confused about what is allowed.

Heather that's Fabulous Love that so much!!!! Good job! Glad y'all had safe travels
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

HW - That is very cool about the college, both the writing class and that you are a good picker!

Joelle - We are going on day three of no public school tomorrow and the moms are starting to long for the routine of school again! A friend once told me she could never homeschool, but she didn't handle snow days well. I told her I didn't like "snow days" either and that it is much different hsing; we have a routine.

April - Wow! A lot of snow! How are you doing now that the boys have left? ((Hugs)) to you mama!

Midny - My girls are like yours with assigned reading. They read alot so it isn't too much of a struggle. I do require them to narrate some books to me so that I know what they gleaned from them.

Michelle - I like Paige's gift ideas. One time I found a bunch of fancy paper napkins on clearance and bought one for every month. I think I actually included 13 packs in the bag. I tried to put a set of napkins for every month: New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, Easter, Birthday napkins, etc. I gave one to my MIL and one to my "secret sister." The both loved the gift. I should probably do it again this year and just start keeping my eye out for napkins on clearance.

Church meeting went well. The dinner they serve us is simple: soup, sandwiches, salad, and cookies for dessert, all from a local coffee shop that rents our tiny church kitchen. The meeting was great too.

I'm off to bed, need to get ready for another school day!
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.