Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday DECLUTTERING!

Joelle on the furnace going out. You don't want that to happen when it IS super cold Dh keeps our heat turned down to about 62 in the winter. I've convinced him to let the kids sleep at 64, but we have a wood burning stove that heats downstairs nicely, so we don't need the heat pump

Michelle -- another idea for you .... maybe you could find out about food stuff and do a "soup in a jar" with dried beans, rice, etc. It all depends on allergies, etc., but maybe that would be a safe food?

Gotta go. Headed to town...
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Joelle -- glad you got your heat fixed and it wasn't as cold

Paige -- thanks for that idea too! I am writing this down. Hopefully she will come to outdoor classroom and we can "talk". I have been thinking of things to say to get her to talking about her lifestyle change/food changes etc. She is very open about them so maybe I can make some mental notes about what she will and won't eat
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 19yo ds, 15yo ds

popping in for a second while DS works on his math...

I want to try this project with the kids do go along with Snowflake Bentley. (The Linocut printing) The older kids, of course. What do you crafty mama think? Too ambitious?
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd10, dd9, ds7, dd5, dd3

Michelle, I'm so glad you found the money! What a relief!!

Mindy, I think you could do that pretty easily with foam or something like that, and even your littles could try it!

*some school done
    *laundry finished--and most of it distributed
    *worked 20 minutes in the laundry room
    *tidied kitchen after breakfast

Now a bit more school before we head out!

Fun project, Mindy. As I recall, I used model magic and had them print with it. The results were adequate. I didn't read thoroughly enough to see what material was used here, but I knew model magic could easily be carved and colored on with markers to print. When my kids were younger, I went for the spirit of an art project even if it wasn't spot on, especially if it made my life easier. If you use model magic, your younger kids can play with it at the same time. Win/win.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (18 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Michelle - Wow! What a blessing that you found the $30! I'm rejoicing with you.
    I think I might write down some of the gift ideas the ladies mentioned too - great ideas!

Joelle - Oh no! I am hoping that your furnace is an easy fix! My father runs an HVAC business in MN. He says that the coldest days when the furnace has to run 24/7 is usually when the stop working!

Jekka - Great job simplifying and decluttering your wardrobe. It is good to know I'm not alone in "the giant pile of laundry on the couch that the kids knock on the floor."

Paige - I am sorry Rainbow didn't work for you, it wasn't my favorite either when I taught it in co-op. I really disliked how the author wrote the labs in a conversational style, plus many of them didn't work for us.

Lindsey - You gave some great video ideas, thanks!

Jen - I hope the package comes, for your sake! Surely you guys aren't the only ones in the gated community getting things from FedEx! The mail did not come her on Monday or Tuesday even though our road is pretty clear. I am hoping it comes today, we are awaiting "Life of Fred; Liver" which isn't nearly as exciting as LEGOs. I know it reached our post office yesterday.

Guess what?
    We finished school by lunch! Woot! This what I am shooting for ladies! With afternoons for art, outdoor stuff, and some independent studies.
    The kids are eating lunch.

up next:
    shower for me
    get ready to go run errands.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather W View Post
    Fun project, Mindy. As I recall, I used model magic and had them print with it. The results were adequate. I didn't read thoroughly enough to see what material was used here, but I knew model magic could easily be carved and colored on with markers to print. When my kids were younger, I went for the spirit of an art project even if it wasn't spot on, especially if it made my life easier. If you use model magic, your younger kids can play with it at the same time. Win/win.
    Love your reminder: "spirit of an art project, even if it isn't spot on" That really helps me, and maybe we can even do this now rather than me acquiring all the expensive supplies and do it "later"

ps. Does anyone know if model magic is the same as Crayola brand air-drying clay?
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd10, dd9, ds7, dd5, dd3

Mindy - If I remember correctly, the linoleum is kinda pricey....I looked into it years ago for letterboxing.
    The styrofoam impressions work well and you don't have to use a sharp cutting tool, just a tooth pick, pencil or skewer.
    I like HW's idea of the model magic too.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

CH1 - we're humming along. I"m going to teach a kid (or 2) how to use the new washer

CH2 - Great challenge for me this week! I can hardly type write now the desk is such a mess!

So far:
    • yoga stretching
    • shower
    • unloaded dishwasher
    • fed kids
    • morning time at the table today. R10 keeps begging me to read history, but the little gals aren't interested. I need to find another time in the day to do this since my little girls need me in the morning
    • clean up
    • started laundry (our dog is in heat and made a mess on D9's bed )
    • phonics with H5
    • math and handwriting with M7 and a math game today!
    • R10 did most of her work on her own, had her second Bridge in LOF - now I'm not sure if we need to review some concepts...or just try the next Bridge...
    • kids having a snack now

up next:
    • lunch
    • get outside - going to be another crazy warm day
    • art project
    • figure out what we're having for dinner
    • find my desk

- - - Updated - - -

Lindsey - thank you for the video suggestions!

Joelle, glad your furnace turned back on. Unfortunately, on a super cold day my downstairs often doesn't get above 60 with the heater running. We just dress warmly! So glad those cold days are infrequent here.

Jekka - way to go on the decluttering of your clothes!!

Michelle, LOVE your story about finding the money! Praise God!

Angela - happy to hear you met your goal of finishing school before lunch!! I have a hard time accomplishing much after lunch here myself.
    Last edited by Mindy in TX; 01-11-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Jen, I meant to tell you earlier, yes, my daughter read No Talking and loved it!