Thread: Lightening Literature

Default Lightening Literature

Anyone used these books from Hewitt Homeschooling? In the past, I've come up with lessons myself, but I'm old and tired and looking for a manual that I can pick up and go. The child who will be using it is not a great thinker, but loves to write. Will these work for me?

Thanks!
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (18), Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

Sorry no experience with Lightning Lit, but maybe a bump will help someone else see it?

I will say we've used a few lit studies from other companies, & we've enjoyed the ones we've used.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

We used it for our homeschool co-op class. My kids weren't old enough for the class when we had it, but it looked pretty good. There's a decent amount of reading, and the teacher that selected it loved the writing.
    Beth loving wife to Adrian and proud mama to Cora (9/04), Deanna (1/07) and Emerson (2/13/09)

Quote Originally Posted by BethInOK View Post
    We used it for our homeschool co-op class. My kids weren't old enough for the class when we had it, but it looked pretty good. There's a decent amount of reading, and the teacher that selected it loved the writing.

Thanks,Beth!
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (18), Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

I have a lot of them. Kids used the Medieval Lit one and liked it. Also used the Shakespeare. You have to be clear if you want them to do the year or semester. I didn't think one book a month was too much for a semester but they thought it ought to be a year. Send me a private message for more info.

Our learning center's English teacher uses these for middle school and high school classes. Her classes are tough and there is a lot of reading and writing, but the parents and most students feel that it's worth it. They all feel that it's excellent for college prep.

That said, I have no idea about using them at home with me as the teacher.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Thanks, everyone! I think I'm going to try one of the British lit ones.

We've used Lightning Lit for several years and really liked it.

We have the middle school ones, which I really like and used with all 3 of my older kids. And I have one of the American Lit ones, which I used with 2 of them, using it just last year with my current Senior. I really like them and how much writing you do is really up to you. They give several suggestions for you to pick and choose. They do have sample lessons to choose from to give you an idea.

We also have the Speech one which I really love. I used it with my oldest, and was hoping to use it this year with the Senior, but he decided he wanted to go full-time to the vocational career center instead. They read tons of famous speeches and then have a lesson on different aspects of speech writing. It's fabulous.
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (2010 homeschool/Cornerstone Univ grad.), Erica (2012 homeschool/culinary/Ashland Univ grad.), Jacob (12th gr.), and Jesse (3rd gr).