Thread: Summer programs for teens? Science/electronics/engineering?

Default Summer programs for teens? Science/electronics/engineering?

So, we are trying to find a summer program for my junior year student to do this summer. I would prefer something along the line of electronics/engineering as this is what he wants to study in college. I'd rather he find out now if this is what he really wants.

But I'm open to anything challenging. I have talked with him and we have looked at a few programs. Some require letters of recommendation(which might be difficult since this son is a very happy to be home introvert), some require SAT scores(taking in March, so possible) and some aren't exciting him. We went through this last year and happened to get a mailing for a program he did get excited about(Patrick Henry's Strategic Intelligence), really enjoyed and did well in, but he's been there, done that now.

So, does anyone know of a great program/camp/experience? I have a decent budget/time allowance, so I'm not too worried about those and travel isn't an issue either.
    Shay, wife to Rod and mom to Nathaniel(23), Benjamin(20), Nicholas(17), Rebekah(15), Julianne(10), Jonathan(7)and Joshua(3)

When John was this age, we got a mailing for an engineering camp somewhere in the northeast that he was REALLY interested in, but it was way out of our budget. I googled for engineering camps in our state, and found one at a community college a few hours away. They offered scholarships, which we got. John thoroughly enjoyed his time there, came out of it insisting he wanted to go into engineering, then changed his mind later after he found out how many years of college were required. This is the program John attended.
    Wendy, wife of Retired Air Force hubby Sid. Mom to school teacher Virginia, 28yo; Son-in-law Mark; Homeschool graduate and Graphic Artist John, 21 and remaining student Tim, 15.
    I can only do one thing well...You pick: Homeschool the kids, or Clean the house.

http://futurestudents.mst.edu/summercamps/

http://futurestudents.mst.edu/summercamps/sra/

These are some camps offered by Missouri S&T (they are actually part of the university system here but they're primarily a science and tech school known for turning out engineers. They have the only PhD program in Explosives Engineering in the country, I think -- something they're proud of. ). Anyway, if distance isn't an issue, it's an idea.

I guess you've looked into MIT or other closer tech schools already? Probably most S&T schools have camps like this, I suppose.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Thanks, ladies!

Our state does a small mini-program, but it's only a week. I did look at MIT and they do not run one, but they host one. It seems difficult to get into. Worcester Polytechnic offers one that we are considering. Carnegie Mellon offers a great program, that he doesn't qualify for. Michigan State is another and John Hopkins as well, but I think that one required 3 letters of recommendation. Hmmm, now they are getting mushed in my head.

I think we need to do a spreadsheet...
    Shay, wife to Rod and mom to Nathaniel(23), Benjamin(20), Nicholas(17), Rebekah(15), Julianne(10), Jonathan(7)and Joshua(3)

Quote Originally Posted by ShayChristie View Post
    Thanks, ladies!

Our state does a small mini-program, but it's only a week. I did look at MIT and they do not run one, but they host one. It seems difficult to get into. Worcester Polytechnic offers one that we are considering. Carnegie Mellon offers a great program, that he doesn't qualify for. Michigan State is another and John Hopkins as well, but I think that one required 3 letters of recommendation. Hmmm, now they are getting mushed in my head.

I think we need to do a spreadsheet...
    You know, if the letters of recommendation are a stumbling block, I would call the program's number and ask about that. Tell them your situation and see if a pastor, neighbor, etc. would be acceptable (for things like being hardworking, reliable, etc.). If that's the only thing standing in the way, I would see how they can accommodate you. They want students to come -- those are future college students for them. Some programs/schools are also looking for homeschool students not only because of their good reputation, but also for diversity in their program.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Not sure this is exactly what you're after, but my 16 year old has been taking mini college courses for just that purpose. They are free & last 4 weeks. You watch a lecture, do a quiz, repeat. At the end of a module you do a module test. Depending on the course depends on how many lectures you need to watch each day. This isn't entirely hands on because it's computer based.

What it has done is given him some ideas for what may or may not appeal to him. Once the course is completed, if you were able to score 60% or higher on each module test you get a certificate & suggestions for what jobs would use some of what you learned. My boy has scored well on all his & we keep getting letters for him from this school or that one. I presume they are customary junk mail merely because of the Open2Study being run by various universities.

He has a few flagged to try out this year & then a few hands on style courses from other places as well. All of these are based on things he's curious about or considering doing long term. The idea being to help him narrow done his thought process & find exactly what he's after
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

All of my kids have attended camp at Pensacola Christian in the summer: http://www.youthoutreachcamps.com/ They go to class, get a tour of the campus, including the Bible museum, attend a show at the planetarium, get to enjoy the fitness center, live in a dorm. They've had a great time. They have sent a paper afterward if you attend to waive the application fee if you want to attend. They have nursing, history, Engineering, music, pre-med, Computer Science, drama, art. Other friends have gone and enjoyed it too. They have made friends that have lasted several years too. There was no recommendation needed the last few years. No SAT scores needed either.

He's a boy so the clothing shouldn't be a problem but girls have to wear skirts or dresses except at the fitness center. I'm giving this info for any other parents who might consider it. The girls have up to eight girls sharing a bathroom also. Up to four in a bedroom.

Jill in Monrovia

I'm pretty sure Univ. of Al offers classes like that. My nephew attended something last year No links, but you can research if you're interested. I would think many universities would offer things like that....
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Ceadrville University in Cedarville, Ohio has an Engineering camp. We have friends that went and enjoyed it.

Thank, ladies!

I think we found one in Boston with a focus on electronics and robotics. We do need to apply, which means I need to work on his transcript. One of my focuses for the upcoming week.