Thread: Planning?

Default Planning?

How detailed are you? I have three I am working with now and I think my lack of planning is a problem.

I usually look through the FIAR manual and pick the lessons we will do. Then consult the manual as needed during the week. I think I'd like it better if I was more than a week ahead to find library books and maybe an extra tie in activity. Maybe since that seems to get out of hand - Pinterest and all.

I am thinking for the 3Rs to put workbook pages or materials in each child's cubby the night before. Though I have been thinking for my reader learning to work off a list might be good. Even if I write it out the night before. I wondered about chore style tags for the girls too, school work after morning jobs sort of thing. I don't want to do workboxes but it would be sort of like that.

Can anyone give me any tips? I've been at this long enough now I need to have a better handle on things.

Thanks.
    Christi
    Wife to Bryan, mama to Wheatley(18) attending Walsh University, Veronica(13)with down syndrome, Ephraim(8), and Loretta(5)

Christi, I think your plan sounds great. I know a lot of moms who do the night before stuff, and planning a week or so ahead makes the library go-alongs so much easier.

I use a small "to-do" list for my kids starting in 2nd grade. As we're finishing school up on say, Monday, I'm filling out the list for Tuesday. So as we finish math, or grammar, FIAR, or whatever, I see right in front of me what they'll need to do the next day, and I fill that out. Then I don't have to revisit the list later on that day or that evening.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

During our FIAR years I'd sit down with the manual a few weeks before we started school. I'd open it up & highlight the things I wanted to do with my children. I'd make penciled notations in the margins if I needed to get a book mentioned from the library or there was a bunny trail I wanted to take the kids down. If I had something special in the house {kit, recipe, etc} I also made note of it there. Then, as we opened up the manual I could just peek at whatever book we were doing next & have everything there.

Alternatively I once also typed it all up, but I found it much quicker & simpler to do things the other way..
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Post-it Notes Board 2.jpg

I am new to homeschooling, but the this is what I do. I laminated a decorative piece of paper and it's on our fridge. Each night I write on small Post-it Notes what my daughter needs to do. Each subject gets its own Post-it. For FIAR stuff, I write the name of the book and what subjects FIAR is covering on the Post-it. So, she has several Post-it Notes a day on her board (Math, Language Arts, DEAR time, Mommy Reads to You, Bible, FIAR, Spanish) are the usual ones, but not every one every day. If I had multiple children (I have one) I would probably write specific page numbers on the Post-its and probably give each kid a board and PIN color (Post-it Notes- I'm tired of typing that. Lol!), but since I'm tracking one child, it's easy this way. Also, when she pulls the Post-it off, she puts it in my lesson planner so I can write it in later that day. Does all of this make sense?

This gives her control of her day because she gets to choose the order in which she learns.

Also, I've only been planning about two weeks out. I love PIN's, so I use those. I use the page flags and put them beside the activities I want us to do. I look at what I've flagged and figure out which ones to do together and assign them with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I don't use M-F in case we start school on a weekend. It works better that way for me. At night, I can look and see what is next for the next day and jot it down for her board (see attached pic for board.) I also use regular sized PIN's to add extra ideas/lessons in my FIAR book. I cover a section we're not going to use that week and jot down what I want to do instead. It works well for me and keeps me from writing in my FIAR book.

If any of this doesn't make sense, let me know and I can clarify.

I usually tentatively select titles for a few months at a time, so that a week or so in advance I can put books on hold at the library (so for instance, I just picked up a book today that we will use next week). This year, I had the girls pick which titles they wanted to do, and I'm filling my calendar up that way. (I plan out semesters, as that follows my calendar for work.)

Then on Sunday night, I make note of which lessons in the manual I'll do that week (just put a check mark by them). I also do to-do lists for the kids the night before, but in the past only on days when I'm having them work more independently (like on a day when my husband is working from home and I'm at work). I keep a general master checklist for all of our subjects/activities on the wall, so they always know what comes next. This year, I think I'm going to start having a weekly planner sheet in their notebook, and fill it in for each day as we go. My 5th grader and I will do this together for her FIAR portion at least, as I'm letting her pick the lessons and do them independently this year (we'll block out the week on Sundays).

This is all flexible--we change as we go, add a week to our FIAR book if we want to, etc. It just saves me having to do last minute decisions, and also helps for library holds as I said above.
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).

For FIAR, I would go through the manual & highlight what I wanted to cover for that book. I'd also pencil in things beside it.. for instance, if I had a book or "extra" that fit it I'd make a note so I would be reminded when using my manual.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Great ideas!
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.