Thread: Ideas on how to teach or resources about the USSR

Default Ideas on how to teach or resources about the USSR

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I thought it was the closest.

We are currently rowing Hanna's Cold Winter, which we are really enjoying. As a go-along book we borrowed "Refugee Child: My memories of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution" by Bobbie Kalman. I generally just place our go-alongs on a table and let my children gravitate to which ones they are interested in. Well, my daughter picked up this one and read most of it in one sitting. She has a lot of questions about the USSR (and I thought it was interesting that Hanna's Cold Winter talked about the German soldiers on one side of Budapest and the Soviet soldiers on the other). I want to follow this rabbit trail and learn about the Russian Revolution, Lenin, Stalin and even the advent of the Cold War. However there is very little information I can find about this that is geared for late elementary - most of it is geared for middle school on up (and most of it geared for High School).

Does anyone know of any good books, links, videos, activities, etc. that would address any of this? My daughter is keen to learn about it, and I love how FIAR leads to such interesting rabbit trails!!
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Well, if you're interested in spending any money {$12} you might be keen to try THIS. We did the whole course {all countries} & my kids loved it. It's still a highly spoken of year of school.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

When my oldest dd was that age, she was fascinated by Anastasia and that whole story and read anything she could get her hands on about it. Her dad was czar Nicholas II -- the czar overthrown by the revolution.

I know that's before the time you wanted, but it could be a good starting point while you hunt down more info
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Thanks ladies. Kendra - I will look into it, thanks! Paige, that's a good idea, thank you!
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.