Thread: Handwriting?

Default Handwriting?

My younger son will be 9 in May. He has horrible handwriting. I haven't pushed him too much but he needs to work on it. He is doing A Reason for Handwriting level A, writing 4 letter words at this point in the book. His letter formation is awful. He still starts to write numbers the wrong way still. He is a really strong reader and does well with his math work.

He wants to learn to spell so we are starting Spelling Power. Not sure how that will go when he has to think about how to make his letters too. Doing the words orally he made through to level C words to start with.

He is very athletic - on a competitive boys gymnastics team so there are no core or hand strength issues there. He is at the gym 9 hours a week.

I sometimes let him use the chalkboard, or driveway, or a dry erase board we try to mix it up. If everything didn't auto correct I'd let him write more on the computer. I don't want to push him and have him hate his work. He is usually pretty compliant when I give him his pile of work, he just gets things done.

Any other suggestions? Does he just need to write more? Thanks.
    Christi
    Wife to Bryan, mama to Wheatley(18) attending Walsh University, Veronica(13)with down syndrome, Ephraim(8), and Loretta(5)

Christi, I've use ARFH with all my girls, and I don't think it's well suited for someone with handwriting difficulties. Have you looked into Handwriting without Tears? It uses a multi-sensory approach and unique lined paper to teach handwriting skills.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

I'd heavily recommend Handwriting Without Tears. It will talk about HOW to write the letters & show them how to do it quickly. Just a thought.. it took my athletic boy who can't sit still from writing squiggles & nonsense to actually writing things we could read. If he' having trouble writing you may also find that Sequential Spelling is a better fit because it follows some pretty clear cut patterns & allows for quicker comprehension of words spelled. Just a thought, all though I have no experience with Spelling Power & how it works.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Have you considered letting him write in a sugar tray? We just colored some sugar and put it in a tuperware with a lid (so nothing gets in it) and my kids have LOVED writing their phonograms or letters over and over (there's the nice positive reinforcement of the sugar ). I will either show the letter, or write it in sugar myself, and child traces.

We've also used HWOT. The wet-dry-try technique is wonderful.
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd11, d10, ds8, dd5, dd4

We like Writing without Tears! I use a highlighter for my youngest with a small motor delay..
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.