Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help for teen with disgraphia

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy in CA View Post
    Legal weight? Can you be more specific? Do you mean which accomindations we are allowed, or something else.
    Legally mandated to provide.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

My eldest has this issue (along with dyslexia and other learning issues). We like to use Google Docs for free speech to text. We liked it better than Dragon because of his difficulty with reading and training Dragon. If you want to work on the physical aspect of writing issues you might check out this website: http://school-ot.com/Handwriting.html I did Handwriting Without Tears When my son was 13 yrs old with him. It helped him to be able to print in a mostly legible hand. Cursive has been disastrous for him, but I will make sure he can sign his name. The rest we will skip. For the vas majority of his school work he uses speech to text or a scribe, but at least he can print a few words now thanks to Handwriting without Tears.
    I'm now looking at this same issue with my 10 yr old. I think we are going to try some of the strengthening techniques from the website. I hope you find what works for your son!
    Lindsey Carter
    Wife to Chris for 17 years and Mom to Wesley 14, Adelaide 12 and Hudson 10

Lindsey have you ever looked at coloured paper for your boy?

If you put a piece of white paper in front of my 16 year old you'd think he'd never been taught to spell or practiced handwriting. His letters will even build atop each other at times. Hand him a sheet of blue paper {light} & the difference is shocking. I was recently showing someone a side by side comparison & they were a little doubtful it had been written by the same kid.. it's just that dramatic for us. I just spent all afternoon yesterday printing math, grammar, & handwriting books for the new term.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey Carter View Post
    My eldest has this issue (along with dyslexia and other learning issues). We like to use Google Docs for free speech to text. We liked it better than Dragon because of his difficulty with reading and training Dragon. If you want to work on the physical aspect of writing issues you might check out this website: http://school-ot.com/Handwriting.html I did Handwriting Without Tears When my son was 13 yrs old with him. It helped him to be able to print in a mostly legible hand. Cursive has been disastrous for him, but I will make sure he can sign his name. The rest we will skip. For the vas majority of his school work he uses speech to text or a scribe, but at least he can print a few words now thanks to Handwriting without Tears.
    I'm now looking at this same issue with my 10 yr old. I think we are going to try some of the strengthening techniques from the website. I hope you find what works for your son!
    Thank you Lindsey, we did HWT when he was little. I never realized an issue back then except he always hated writing. I wonder if it would help revisiting the basics? He chooses to avoid writing and types everything possible.

He needed to fill in a food diary for his biology class and avoided doing it. I finally sat with him and did the writing for him. It was pretty simple but writing in small spaces is torture for him. I'll look at google docs.

His answer, at almost 16, is avoiding what is hard. I think in the long run that could maybe make things worse. Maybe I need to make him physically write a little every day. His frustration turns into anger at himself so that I want to avoid. Thoughts?
    Cindy, Single Mom of two precious sons, Nicholas (12-97) & Ben (4-01). Loving FIAR since 2004!