Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning Meeting

Default Morning Meeting

I would LOVE to gather my girls together in the morning and start the day together. I'm not sure how one "conducts" a Morning Meeting with teens. What do you incorporate? How do you keep it a positive addition to your homeschool if someone consistently is grouchy or difficult in the morning? On a pragmatic note, WHERE do you meet in the house? Do people eat breakfast during the meeting? Sorry for so many questions but I've wanted to do this for a long time and I just can't figure out how to implement it. Thanks so much for your help!!
    PS
    I have four daughters that I'm homeschooling (13,15,16,17)
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning

We use a morning meeting most days!

I've got a morning meeting post for high schoolers in the hopper on the blog, but here's another post Fostering Collaboration with Morning Meeting Time.

We do morning meeting in our family room after breakfast and sometimes at breakfast if the day needs to get moving. We use crash course videos, cnn student news and other current events, a special activity like for a while we were memorizing Shakespeare, and read alouds.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

We do one too. We call it table time. It incorporates all of the kids.

We discuss the plans for the day ahead, and read and discuss a chapter in the Bible. While I'm reading, people are usually drawing. We also have other things we study as a family. Right now we are working through the Constitution, and "The Life Giving Home" by Sally and Sarah Clarkson. Also, I often do current events, reading an article or watching a video on a social issue, or science, or history, or whatever.

In the past, we have done holy-day related devotions, Ted Talks, studied music genres, read fairy tales, studied the presidents, prayed for friends and family, done memorization, studied hymns, did voice training, and watched and played along with videos on bucket drumming. It's sort of a free-flowing time that gets our day going and our juices flowing.

Kitty is NOT a morning person. She is grumpy. She sits bundled in blankets and often mutters. She knows to expect it and is just the starting point of her day. Elvis helps her out with that. And by the end of it she's awake and engaged. Boyo is sometimes attitudinal, but that's his phase right now and I deal with it as it comes.

Table time has given us great discussions and lots of fun memories.
    Robin, wife for 20 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 18yo Belle; 16yo Kitty; 13yo Princess, and 11yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016: Be her.

Thank you for starting this! I would love more help with the grumpy teen too. I sometimes just do it without him.

I've tried doing it at the breakfast table - which works best if I've actually made breakfast for them too. A hot breakfast really draws in my guys.

Looking forward to reading your post Heather and appreciate all that you and Robin are sharing.
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (21), Joshua (17), Isaiah (15), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (10).

Just to clarify - our kitchen table is where we do table time, and most of our schooling. So eating happens during table time occasionally.
    Robin, wife for 20 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 18yo Belle; 16yo Kitty; 13yo Princess, and 11yo Boyo.

Thank you so much everyone~! I'm looking forward to reading your post Heather and thanks for all of the advice! We loved Morning Meeting when the girls were younger but the grouchy girl is making mornings more difficult. Trying to find a positive way to turn this around.
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning

My girl is so not into mornings and is very grouchy. Part of that is a choice for her, but part isn't. For the part that isn't, we give grace but we also look for ways to help her resolve the problem. For example, we find that spending a few minutes on the mini tramp with a little music she likes seems to get her going and help her have a better outlook on her day.

If it's a particularly rough morning, she might look like a mummy wrapped in blankets at the table.

However, everyone knows that table time is a given and that they are expected to be respectful, if not cheerful. Oh, and they have to at least be able to pretend to be awake. I figure that's a life skill.

Following this thread! we do morning times too, and it varies from devotional books, read alouds, a hymn, poetry, snippets of history....etc., etc. I personally don't like eating going on during that time, but my daughter needs something to do, so it's often crochet or coloring. We are at the kitchen table, where we spend the majority of our school day.
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)

Great question Michele! Thank you for asking it an ladies thank you for sharing.

I've been letting my teens sleep in, so we've been doing Bible study and Prager University a few times a week around lunchtime. It gives slackers a chance to finish work in the morning.
    Julie, ds (18) dd (15)
    Word of the year: 2008-Be still, 2009-Abundance, 2010-Purity, 2011-Feed, 2012-Time, 2013-Relationships, 2014-Words, 2015-Community, 2016-Marriage, 2017-Let go