Thread: Multiple Ages

Default Multiple Ages

Okay, I have a 5th, 2nd, K, Pre-K, 2 yo, and 1yo. This year I attempted to do BY with the 5th grader, FIAR with the 2nd grader, and BF with the younger ones. It's just been too much to keep up with. I would like to try to combine them and do it altogether, with maybe the oldest one doing BY on his own. I just need school planning to be easier. Any help or advice would be great!

Hi Audrey,

I hope someone will chime in as to how they manage that...

I have similarly aged children - 10, 9, 7, 5, & 3. (And their grades are roughly 5th, 4th, 2nd, K, and Pre-k). I will tell you what I manage to do. I have not pulled off rowing multiple levels, so this may not interest you. I just cannot pull my brain in that many directions.

We are all rowing together, and we're in volume 4. This seems to offer plenty of challenge for my oldest daughters, and not too much for my 7yo. My 5 & 3yo tag-along with "younger" go-along books, participate in geography, art, some math, and cooking. For my kids I add copy work for my oldest 3, and some light grammar and spelling for them as well, also math. My little girls work on phonics and math games. We often include a chapter book go-along (to be read together, or individually if it's an easy-reader for my 7yo, or get some books that appeal to their interests to be read alone and shared, etc.)

This may not sound like much, but it's been very satisfying for us. And it's sustainable. I just cannot sustain all the planning each week/month of 3 different levels. This just may be a personal limitation. It may be different if we'd rowed these books before, but they're new to all of us. We're enjoying doing one study, as a family, and it's given us the flexibility to follow some interests since I don't have to move on to something else with another set of kids, ya know?

Let me know if you have any more questions. Have fun with. your kids!
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd11, d10, ds8, dd5, dd4

I don't have multiple children rowing. but I do have a older child that I did do FIAR with this year. We started when she was in 2nd grade. Life has a way of getting in the way so we took a long time to get through FIAR. My daughter is 12 but was 11 when we started this school year. I was going to switch her to Beyond but she asked to finish off FIAR. We had about half the books from Vol 4 and a few from the other volumes we never got to. Its been a fun year.

If I was you I would row them all in FIAR. Just add to it for your older children. For my daughter I just have her do independent work like researching a topic deeper. I think it would be easier to do all the kids together then try to row 3 levels of work. If there is a animal in the story I have my daughter research the animal. If there is a country or state I have her dig deeper. Its doable. You oldest can also teach the younger ones what she has learned. If the book has weather in it have your older on dig deeper. There is so much they can learn with Five in a Row.
    Jen married 17 years to Steve, mom to Mike "88", Nick "91", Abigail our child in heaven "04" and Samantha "05"

I thought I had my hands full with "multiple" rowers - but only two! I can't imagine trying to do five at once! Wowza!

I have 3 kids 5th grade, 3rd, and 2nd...adjusted to kinder. We do FIAR for my youngest two and my eldest does a chapter book from the 'School of Good Books' blog and does a go a long kind of thing.. I am sure it isn't perfect FIAR, but it works for us.
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.

I would likely do FIAR with all of them while the youngest two are napping!

I'd expect more from my 5th grader and do the middle two more or less together expecting second grade stuff or pre-K stuff accordingly. Then I'd do B4 with the youngest two when they are ready, but I would do FIAR while they rest.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Somehow I missed this earlier.....

Quote Originally Posted by Heather W View Post
    I would likely do FIAR with all of them while the youngest two are napping!

I'd expect more from my 5th grader and do the middle two more or less together expecting second grade stuff or pre-K stuff accordingly. Then I'd do B4 with the youngest two when they are ready, but I would do FIAR while they rest.
    This is exactly what I'd do When I had little ones who napped, I always did FIAR with whichever older ones I had.

For the 5th grader, I'd pull in chapter books for him/her to read as go-alongs independently (there are lists out there somewhere, or you can ask). I've also had my 5th graders do some research on things (with me sitting beside them) -- we've done adobe houses for The Gullywasher, volcanoes, specific historic people, etc. Sometimes with the go-along book, I'll have them do a book report or research something from that book or write several diary entries from the main character's perspective.

Maybe it's me, but I've always found when I try to do too much, nothing gets done very well at all Just being honest .... When I can streamline and "beef up," things go better.

Now, I will say that by 6th/7th (depending on the student), they were much more independent with their learning and had separate assignments, but not in 5th.

Hope that helps!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)