Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Who? -- Update Post 27

Default Dr. Who? -- Update Post 27

Is this tv series family friendly? My youngest is 8, and my oldest is 16.

Thoughts?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

In general, yes, it's family friendly as in not any excessive swearing except an occasional British swear word, no gore, and moderate fantasy violence (blowing up spaceships, fighting the bad guy).

A sensitive child might be scared of the science-fiction themes sometimes. Robots that want to destroy mankind. Earth coming to an end in a supernova. Supernatural characters that have almost a ghost story type feel to them. But, the Doctor always solves the mystery and saves the day by the end of the episode.

We like Dr Who at our house. I've let my less sensitive children watch as young as 6 or 8. Our favorite Doctor is the one portrayed by David Tennant. Matt Smith is also good and family friendly.

Here is a good article on Dr Who and kids

Dr Who: Your New to Who FAQ Kid's Edition
    Last edited by Jeni; 05-08-2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added article link and fixed some grammar lol

Thank you, Jeni! That's what I needed to know.

My kids (even my youngest) watch Lord of the Rings, The Avengers movies (with clearplay), the X Men movies (with clearplay), so the sci-fi violence isn't a big deal to us. It's the language and any s*xual stuff that we wouldn't want.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

If they've watched LOTR, Avengers and X- men then there shouldn't be any problem with Dr Who. There is a bit of a love story but nothing overtly s*xual.

My kids love Doctor Who. When you remember two things, they aren't too scary. 1. No matter what it may appear like, the scary things are aliens. 2. The Doctor always saves the day. After that, they aren't too scary anymore. There was one of David Tennants that I wouldn't watch again. I can't remember what it was called now but it's the one where he basically goes into Hell. It bothered me and Emily. No aliens in that one, which made it disturbing.

Oh, and it's Doctor not Dr. Just in case you start watching it regularly, you'll want to have the correct lingo down!
    Linda wife to Mark, Mommy to Emily, 20 Anna 18, Rebecca 16, Samuel 14, Jacob 11, and Katie 8,
    Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen.
    Steven Wright

Thanks for chiming in, Linda

My olders love the Doctor. They preview all the episodes for appropriateness for my youngers - they check not only for content, but to see if my sensitive one would enjoy the episode or be frightened.
    Robin, wife for 21 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 19yo Belle; 17yo Kitty; 13yo Princess, and 11yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016: Be her.

You probably want to know ahead of time that various episodes will include same sex relationships.
    Carol, mom to 19 yo, 17 yo, 16 yo, and 13 yo.
    I don't really care who did it. I just want you to clean it up.

Thanks for the heads up, Carol. Is there a way to find out which episodes?