Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Who? -- Update Post 27

Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, Carol. Is there a way to find out which episodes?
    I don't have this direct answer, but we noticed this same thing. Jacob says he's noticed that as a very common theme in BBC shows, this one included.
    Melissa, Five in a Row Staff - Community Manager
    Robert's my man. Jacob, 15, and Mattie, 11, entertain me and keep me on my knees!
    "Once your enemy, now seated at your table. Jesus, thank you!" ~ Sovereign Grace Music

Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, Carol. Is there a way to find out which episodes?
    You could check with IMDB. Select the Season & episode you are after & then locate the Parent Advisory guide.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Thanks, Kendra. That helps.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

There's another option: to start with the first season and watch them all the way through. I don't know if you like "old" British TV shows or not, but these are really fun. My dd tells me that all of her friends, though, are not acquainted with any Doctor before (what was it...?) 8 or 9? I can't remember. But it's a shame. The early shows are great -- and I say that as a non-sci-fi and non-fantasy person.

You would also have the added benefit of seeing the best companion of all (for Doctors 3 and 4): Sarah Jane Smith, whom our daughter is named after.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Captain Jack's character, as well as the actor in real life, are openly bisexual. This doesn't play into every episode, and he's in a lot of them, but there are some jokes here and there said by him and Number 10. Also, there is a female couple, one is a lizard, the other human, who after many episodes with no relationship come back in another season living together. I thought that one was odd.

Those are the characters that I can remember off the top of my head. It's not an overly sexual show so the relationships shown are fairly tame. However, yes, it is there.
    Linda wife to Mark, Mommy to Emily, 20 Anna 18, Rebecca 16, Samuel 14, Jacob 11, and Katie 8,
    Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen.
    Steven Wright

Rebe, That would be Number 9, the reboot of the show. Although most people start with Number 10, David Tennant's doctor. Christopher Eccleston only did one season.
    Linda wife to Mark, Mommy to Emily, 20 Anna 18, Rebecca 16, Samuel 14, Jacob 11, and Katie 8,
    Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen.
    Steven Wright

So is Season One significantly older than the other ones? I figured we'd start with season 1. Or is there an "older" series we should start with? If so, do you have a link?

The reason I'm asking all of this is that I *think* (think being the truly operative word here ) that we can actually stream on Amazon Prime now. With the new "Unlimited Plus" with ATT, I think we have unlimited wifi. It's "possible" that it'll slow down after 22 GB of data, but supposedly it won't unless you're in a congested area. Well, the reason we didn't have unlimited before is because we're in such a non-congested area. So, I've been letting the kids watch stuff on Amazon Prime, and the entire Dr. Who series in on there.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

I just looked up what Amazon Prime has for streaming and I just see the reboot. The older episodes may be there, but that's not what popped up with my search. Netflix has a few of the older episodes, but not all of them.

Yes, they are older. They are from the 60's, in black and white and the aliens are quite funny considering the lack of technology at the time. The show ran from 1963-1989. The successful reboot was in 2005, which is what Amazon is showing as Season 1. That's the 9th doctor. If you watch them, I'd suggest starting with those episodes first. Some people say skip them, they think they are corny. But I think Christopher Eccleston was a great Doctor and some of the things he encounters in later seasons won't make sense if you didn't watch with the 9th Doctor.
    Steven Wright

Okay, Linda, I'm confused -- the 60's version is the 9th Doctor or the 1st Season of the new version is the 9th Doctor? (Sorry to be so obtuse!)

My post wasn't clear because I was answering your question in two parts.

The 60's is the beginning. The first season was the first Doctor. They've counted the Doctors whenever a new Doctor regenerates. Doctor number 9 is 2005, when the show rebooted.

What I see Amazon offering on Prime is not the original but the reboot. They are calling that Season 1. It was made in 2005 and is what got the show going again. It isn't really season one. It would be season 27, if you counted every season from the beginning starting in 1963. Netflix has some of the original, from the 60's and 70's, but not all of the seasons. They do have all the newer episodes, from 2005 to now, on disc.
    Steven Wright