Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Financial Planning Class?

Default Financial Planning Class?

Anyone have any books/ideas/thoughts about a high school financial planning class?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

We used Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance Ben's senior year and will be using it next year for Nicholas. This is an area I missed with Nathaniel, although he did view some of the discs from the course last summer.

I did not view every lesson, but I am familiar with Dave Ramsey, have read some of his books and used his ideas/principles, so I was comfortable with not previewing it in it's entirety. I did see 2-3 lessons and they were what I expected.
    Shay, wife to Rod and mom to Nathaniel(23), Benjamin(20), Nicholas(17), Rebekah(15), Julianne(10), Jonathan(7)and Joshua(3)

We used the Dave Ramsey dvds this year for a class. It was great! We invited some other families to join in with us and it was fun having a group to discuss things with. There was very little prep time as the teacher (which I really liked). The concepts are solid - and one we will probably need to review again. The one we watched was geared toward high school students, but still timely for those older than that too.
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (21), Joshua (17), Isaiah (15), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (10).

Is this 1/2 a credit or a whole credit?

Leslie, when you met as a group, how many times did you meet and for how long?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

1/2 credit

We met for two hours a week for 12 times I think. There is work to do at home as well.
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (21), Joshua (17), Isaiah (15), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (10).

We also used Dave Ramsey's high school DVDs.

We used it too!
    Robin, wife for 20 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 18yo Belle; 16yo Kitty; 13yo Princess, and 11yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016: Be her.

Well, after speaking with a friend who's hubby works down this line & hearing of the issues with Ramsey's theories & practices we opted to use Burkett's Books instead. I think we're lone ducks, because most people I asked also used Ramsey.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Kendra, I PMd you.
    You have indeed been called into ministry. Be careful that you don't scorn it in persuit of something bigger or better in the world's eyes. -- Lis in Maine

Thanks, ya'll!

Kendra, we've read a number of Larry Burkett's books, too (Jim and I have) and have always appreciated his philosophy!

I think I'm going to go with what I have access to..... I'm a member of Schoolhouseteachers, and they have a semester long course on there. Plus, K's going to take a 10 week course at coop next fall, so I think those two should cover the basics without me having to make any more purchases. If I'm not pleased, then I'll look into something else.