Thread: Fix It Grammar

Default Fix It Grammar

Anyone ever use Fix It Grammar (it's an IEW program). A friend showed it to me yesterday, and it looks pretty decent. If I chose to do it, I'd do a week in a day or two with my olders, but ?????

Thoughts?
    Opinions?
    Experiences?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

We used this this year. We got started late so I'm sad to say we're still not finished. But we're plugging along. My older son does not like it, constantly asking why we have to do these things. My girls don't mind it too much.
    Rachel, mommy to Max and Zoe - 15, Abby - 12, and Sam, 9
    Moving at the speed of homeschool

Eli used it with his IEW online classes and I think we used it another year. I love the idea behind it (teach them to edit their own work), but since Eli has so many learning disabilities in this area I'm not sure it was effective for him (or that anything would be).
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 19yo Eli, 17yo Kyle, and 13yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

I use it in high school along with IEW writing. I think I would be confused by the "lingo" if I didn't use the writing program too/first. That said, I really like it. I have one child that loves all things grammar now because of this program. Most of my kids have just tolerated it
    Blessed wife to Troy and Mama to K(31) married to E (2 granddaughters & a grandson), H(29) married to J, S (24), S (22), Z (20), M (18), E (16), M (14), J (13), D (11), N (10)

We've been using Fix-It for a couple of years now & we like it.

You may find that you can double up at times, but will need to slow down at other times. When you start out if you have grammar experience it's pretty easy to double up because of learning about nouns & verbs. However, down the line you'll be marking just about every word in a sentence, adding punctuation, etc. I wouldn't recommend doing a weeks worth in a day. When we double up we do 2 sentences in a day completing a week in 2 days so we can do 2 weeks at a go. The programme is designed for grades K-12 & it's one area my kids can still work together in. They are suppose to rewrite the sentences afterwards with the corrections made &/or marking certain things in the rewrite {strong verbs, dress-ups, etc.} We don't do a "by hand" re-write due to the kids VPD, instead I have them type it up on the computer. They save it & are able to print it out at the very end.

Both my fussier learner & my never complains learner enjoy the programme. I will say there are 2 key elements to getting the most out of the programme & that is using the cards that come with it & being consistent. Which is why I think you'd be better off to do half a week's work in a day vs a whole week. Yes, The Nose Tree will start out simplistic, but it will build up over the course & then it will taper off towards the end with several weeks of review. We doubled up in the beginning & in the end in order to get to the meat of it. We also doubled up at the beginning of the Robin Hood Book because it starts with basic parts of speech, but only for the first 5 weeks to refresh kids after a long summer break. Then it jumps into some much deeper things. My eldest was keen to mark everything he'd previously learned & my youngest was content to only do what was required. I did, however, threaten to poke him in the nose if marked one more adjective as a verb. He opted to pull out his cards to see why he kept making that mistake.

Also, in case you don't know, you only need to purchase the teacher book. You get a link in the teacher book to download & print the student books. You can then print one for as many children as you have doing the course. This was SUPER helpful for us needing to print each child's workbook on their own coloured paper. It also meant the grammar card were on their own coloured paper. We laminate all the grammar cards, punch a hole in the top corner & they go on rings so the kids can easily pull them out & use them as needed. They won't always need them, but I found when mistakes were being made it's because they were convinced they didn't need to use the cards ever.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Rachel, can I look at your copy of this sometime?

Yes! And I think one of my kids will show you their book too!
    Rachel, mommy to Max and Zoe - 15, Abby - 12, and Sam, 9
    Moving at the speed of homeschool