Thread: Diagramming Sentences

Default Diagramming Sentences

My son is going to be in 8th grade this year and we've only done very basic grammar so far. I'd like to find a simple resource on diagramming sentences so we can go over that. Not really looking for anything too crazy, I just want him to get the concept because I found it really helpful when learning foreign languages.

Wendy, wife of Retired Air Force hubby Sid. Mom to school teacher Virginia, 28yo; Son-in-law Mark; Homeschool graduate and Graphic Artist John, 21 and remaining student Tim, 15.
    I can only do one thing well...You pick: Homeschool the kids, or Clean the house.

I find Rod and Staff overwhelming, but there's definitely lots of diagramming practice. My middle dd and I are using Nancy Wilson's Our Mother Tongue, which is straight to the point and from a classical approach.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Thanks for the ideas!!

I've heard Easy Grammar has it, but in fairness my high schoolers have never diagrammed a sentence.
    The first time I diagrammed one for hubby he thought I was speaking alien, I like your point about a second language though.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Here is a post from Julie at Brave Wrtier: Grammar Notes

We never did actual sentence diagramming here. I used Jensen's Grammar in high school with my girls, and then they did foreign language study. One did Spanish, one did French. We have the Nitty Gritty Grammar books.

This looks interesting, though I didn't watch it.
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (2010 homeschool/Cornerstone Univ grad.), Erica (2012 homeschool/culinary/Ashland Univ grad.), Jacob (12th gr.), and Jesse (3rd gr).