Thread: Just starting with 8 year old, help please

Question Just starting with 8 year old, help please

I'm new to FIAR so trying to plan our upcoming school year. I've spent the past couple years pushing my daughter too hard, out of my own ignorance of a better way to do this, and now she doesn't like school. I want to try this method to get her interested again and make learning fun. My concern is she's at the upper suggested age level and I don't want to not challenge her enough. Many of the lessons in the manual will be super easy for her. My question is to those of you with kids on the upper end of the age range are you keeping it as simple as the manual or should I be doing extras such as the notebook pages, fold&learns and Pinterest? TIA

Hi Jenni! You have a couple of options. I do think you can stick with Vol. 1-3, at least for a year (especially if you already own them). Even if you stick to the manual, many of the lessons aren't as simple as they may appear. For instance, instead of just finding China on a map (as you would with a 5yo), you can read another book about it, watch a video, color a coloring page, make a list of things she learned about China, make a list of what in the book (Ping) is different from how people live in China today, draw/color the flag, etc. So you can expand on the lessons in any way you want, and with a child her age, that could involve writing, making lists, making drawings, studying maps, reading other books, etc. I personally stay away from Pinterest because it's overwhelming and can make many moms feel like they're not doing enough, but that's up to you.

The other option, if you really feel she's too old, is to go with Vol. 4, which covers one year (two weeks on each book). This volume is more detailed and the books are at a higher level, but still picture books. There is WAY more than enough in there to interest an 8yo. I actually used it with my 10yo last year and we both loved it.

For either option, I'd recommend getting the FIAR Notebook Builder, which you can use for many years to come. http://fiveinarow.com/shop/notebook-builder/
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 19yo Eli, 17yo Kyle, and 13yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

Thanks so much for the insight. I feel this program is the best to bring joy and fun learning back into our schooling. I want to make sure she gets enough but I don't want to overdo and kill the fun in this too. Your insights and suggestions are very helpful. Thanks and have a blessed day.

What Hollie and Rebe said.

I have used Vols 1-3 up into 7th grade when the occasion warranted. Last fall, I did some rows with my two who are bright and busy; at the time they were 10 and 12. They loved it.

And, just in case you get concerned, rowing and following the manual, plus a few go-along reads thrown in for fun (not to mention snuggle time on the couch) will give your daughter an amazing foundation not only academically, but creatively and emotionally as well.
    Robin, wife for 20 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 18yo Belle; 16yo Kitty; 13yo Princess, and 11yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016: Be her.

Hi Jenni Welcome to FIAR

Just wanted to say hello and to tell you I agree with all the others. Your dd would probably enjoy some of the notebook builder or coloring maps and doing some of the written activities. We made notebooks -- sometimes of crafts, sometimes of coloring pages/maps, sometimes I'd take a picture and print it out on regular paper and paste it in there to show what we were doing. Get the cookbook and COOK each week -- great memories and perfect lessons to go along with your week.

Another good thing for that age is to find a chapter book go-along and read it at the same time (read aloud) IF you think that's appropriate or just find some go-along books -- look at pictures of China, get a book on horses, do a study on seashells.....

Good luck and have fun!!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)