Thread: Best math for Kindergarten?

Default Best math for Kindergarten?

Hi wise mamas (and papas!),

We're going to be (hopefully!) starting FIAR Vol. 1 for my 5.5yo this fall.

I'm debating between Right Start Math (more of a Charlotte Mason approach) and Horizons. Horizons looks appealing because it is so simple, but I'm wondering if Right Start would give her a better foundation for really understanding math.

Any advice?

I used Right Start with my third, MUS with my second, and a more eclectic selection with my first. Like you, I thought RS would give a more thorough understanding rather than just rote learning, and I loved that it was based on games, which really fit our style in general. After 3 very different kids, I came to the conclusion that the brain is ready for the rote aspects of math WAY before it is ready for the abstract principles that underlie it. RS does do a great job at explaining the abstracts, and it even helped ME get some better understanding, it just was done before my son was ready to absorb it. The games are way more fun for drill than worksheets and timed drills. If I had a do-over, I'd probably choose a simple to use proven curriculum (will vary with family), purchase the RS math games book for drill, and use the AL Abacus course from RS to give myself a thorough understanding and to draw from when the child wants more info.
    Wendy, wife of Retired Air Force hubby Sid. Mom to school teacher Virginia, 28yo; Son-in-law Mark; Homeschool graduate and Graphic Artist John, 21 and remaining student Tim, 15.
    I can only do one thing well...You pick: Homeschool the kids, or Clean the house.

I started with MUS with my first dd; she hated the black & white pages (despite the colorful manipulatives) so we switched to Horizons K because it was the most colorful program I could find. We stuck with Horizons through 6th grade, and then I switched all 3 girls back to MUS. Horizons is a solid spiral program; however, I don't think it explains the why behind math as well as MUS. My girls did fine with Horizons, but I found myself using MUS concepts to explain place value, etc. On the other hand, I think MUS doesn't offer enough practice for some students.

I am not familiar with Right Start, so I can't comment. What I will pass along is some great advice given to me. Once you find a math program you like, commit to it through elementary school. It makes instruction more consistent than jumping from program to program each year.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Quote Originally Posted by Laura F View Post
    What I will pass along is some great advice given to me. Once you find a math program you like, commit to it through elementary school. It makes instruction more consistent than jumping from program to program each year.
    Good advice in general, however, my best math student used at least 4 different programs in her elem. years. Two years in public school, Bob Jones for 2 years, Saxon for 2, back to public school in a different state, MUS at home, public for high school in a third state on an advanced math track. Both my boys had one curriculum for K-6: one in MUS, one in RS. One floundered a bit through middle school and finally succeeded with Life of Fred through high school, the other spent 2yrs on Pre-Alg and 3yrs struggling with Algebra 1 before we finally ditched it and went to Geometry, where he is now having some success. Even good advice is just that- advice- not rules.
    Wendy, wife of Retired Air Force hubby Sid. Mom to school teacher Virginia, 28yo; Son-in-law Mark; Homeschool graduate and Graphic Artist John, 21 and remaining student Tim, 15.
    I can only do one thing well...You pick: Homeschool the kids, or Clean the house.

I think if you surveyed a hundred people you'd get that many different answers! I'd consider how your daughter best learns before selecting, but if I was to suggest which one we use I'd say Math U See.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.