Thread: Help! Which to use: BFIAR or FIAR?

Default Help! Which to use: BFIAR or FIAR?

I have two wonderful daughters. One is turning 6 at the end of August and the other will be 4 on October 1. Both are very smart and pick up things easily, particularly my younger one. We dabbled a bit in BFIAR last winter, but didn't do any serious "rowing," just enjoyed the books. We're going to start in earnest this fall, but I'm wondering if the BFIAR is going to be too understimulating for my 6 year old and worried that FIAR might be a bit over the head of my 4 year old.... Any advice? I think it would be great if we could use the same books so we could all enjoy the same discussions, some of the same activities, etc., but if I had to, I would be open to doing separate books with them. Anyone had FIAR experience with a young 4? Or BFIAR experience with a young 6?

I have done both. With my first two children I did FIAR when my second child was 4. With my last two children I did BFIAR when my third child was 6. Both worked for us because of the specific children and because of the way that I needed to divide up children. Having done both, if I were in your situation, and all other things were equal, I would do BFIAR instead of FIAR. There are so many things to explore in FIAR, and I find that the older they are, the more they get out of it. The ages on the cover of the manual are young in my opinion - I use FIAR Volumes 1 - 3 through 3rd grade. If you are interested in doing Before with your 6 year old, there is a thread here that talks about what some people have done with it to beef it up a bit for older kids.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Another option you might consider would be to do some books from both Before and FIAR to see what works best for your girls.
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (21), Joshua (17), Isaiah (15), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (10).

Just to be the lone dissenter, I would be inclined to use FIAR with both of them and simply modify expectations/activities for the 4 y.o. I say this because you can always re-row FIAR volumes and still glean new learning from them the 2nd time around. Mostly I'm thinking of the 6 y.o. who is ready for FIAR.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Nelsen View Post
    Another option you might consider would be to do some books from both Before and FIAR to see what works best for your girls.
    This is what I did -- I mixed and mingled all 3 FIAR volumes and Before When I first started rowing, I did the first 4 (or so) books in Vol. 1 in a row in order to get a feel for it. Then I started jumping around based on season, interest, "fit," etc. And I stayed with the "easier" books for a while and picked up some "harder" Before books. That's what worked for us
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Thanks for all the great advice, and particularly for the thread on beefing up BFIAR. I'm going to mix it up and see how we do!