Thread: Planning for the upcoming year (planner recommendations?)

Default Planning for the upcoming year (planner recommendations?)

Hello everyone! I feel like I've been missing in action for quite a while -kids growing up, graduating, moving on. My youngest DD was diagnosed last Oct with severe liver disease and placed on a transplant list. our school year was doctors, bloodwork, tests and NYC for dr visits and general mayhem. Meanwhile my son and his family from AK moved back to the states and live 2 hrs away so we are making up for lost time in each others lives. Then there is homeschooling, farm life, my advancing age *cough,choke*(ie. Im tired!)....In other words life has been extremely hectic.
    My dd with the liver issues just graduated and is headed to college! Now Im down to one in school. Ladies, I have 9 children!!! How in the world did time go so fast?

So. My question is this. Anyone have a planner recommendation? I need one so my ds can be self directed, I need something to keep me on task also.
    Bojo' Erin Condren, Happy planners. What should I do?

School: we miss our FIAR days terribly. with dd# 4 headed to college our schooling took on a more formal, traditional flavor. My ds isnt to sure about college so Id love to go back to the relaxed days of schooling like we had during our FIAR day, but how can I do that in HS? Id love to just pick a few topics, give him a pile of books, art supplies and a notebook and have him go at it his way. any advice, encouragement or tips from you mom's out there?
    Gail, blessed wife to 1, momma to 9, nana to 1 and clinging to the vine ~*~John15:4-9~

the world is our classroom, the classroom is not our world.

My independent learners like the Plum Paper ME 7x9 planner. All the work for the week {& chores or obligations} are recorded on the weekend so they are ready to roll at the start of the week. If you opt to go for it, there's likely a 10% off coupon code floating around too. Keep in mind the planners are made per your specifications: personalising both inside & outside so they don't ship the very day you place the order..
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Hi Gail,

Its good to see you!

I think you can definitely choose to go a more relaxed route in high school. For mine, I've chosen to treat high school as though they are going to college so that the door is not closed to them. Hope that makes sense. We have done some unit studies in high school. I think if you want to relax, then go for it. Look at a subject that you want him to learn and then plan what he will need to do in order to earn a credit in that subject.

Ex. American History - Determine which books you want him to read. Papers or projects associated with those books? Field trips to visit sites. etc.

I'm looking at the planners on homeschoolcreations.com this year. Trying to sort that out now. I've also ordered a high school planner from Well Planned Day. Hoping that will be a help and motivator to my 15yo.

Lastly, hugs to you! Be gentle on yourself as you have been through a lot. Its great to see you here!
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (21), Joshua (17), Isaiah (15), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (10).

Hi Gail

A note on Plum planners: I love them, but shipping is ridiculously long. I just received my order from 1 month ago. I'd recommend something else if you need to start soon.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

High School.. for my current high schooler we're a bit more like Leslie in that he's doing work that would meet requirements should he opt in for college. It is this child's goal & he's already eyeing up schools.

Could you be more relaxed? Sure. What about using something like Amanda Bennet's Unit Studies? She has high school level ones & some that even fit various state requirements for high school, like the government study.. On the other hand that might not be quite what you meant either.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Just hopping on to say Hi, to Gail!!

And... I'm just on here to follow the thread. You ask some good and pertinent questions, so I'm eager to hear what others have to say!
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)