Thread: Morning Meeting II

Default Morning Meeting II

Life got crazy and now ...planning for the new year, I still REALLY want to get my girls together in the morning. We have so little time left all together...
    We haven't done "Morning Meeting" (or any group morning activity) for many years. Have any of you resumed after a very long absence? How did you "market" the concept of taking time together when teens have busy schedules? I'm really grateful for any assistance. Thanks so much!!!
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning

Michele, I read your first post the other day and sadly that post I spoke about is almost done but not quite. I was working through a few things and it sat. Life has been crazy this summer.

However, I spent time today finalizing some of our plans and I can share a few things.

First, it has always been our practice to read together in the morning. Morning meeting is just an extension of that in some ways. It really is often the best part of our day.

so, I would present it as this is a time for us to begin together and you explain what you'll be doing during that time. Then sweeten the deal with a special snack or or have it over a meal.

what do you want to accomplish for that time? do you want them to learn something particular? I have some thoughts on this, but it's good to know what you want it to look like first.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (18 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Quote Originally Posted by Heather W View Post
    Michele, I read your first post the other day and sadly that post I spoke about is almost done but not quite. I was working through a few things and it sat. Life has been crazy this summer.

However, I spent time today finalizing some of our plans and I can share a few things.

First, it has always been our practice to read together in the morning. Morning meeting is just an extension of that in some ways. It really is often the best part of our day.

so, I would present it as this is a time for us to begin together and you explain what you'll be doing during that time. Then sweeten the deal with a special snack or or have it over a meal.

what do you want to accomplish for that time? do you want them to learn something particular? I have some thoughts on this, but it's good to know what you want it to look like first.
    Heather, what do I want to accomplish? To be completely honest, I really miss having the girls together for school (they're scattered around the house reading and on their computers). My primary "want" is to share time and space together, make a few memories and start the day off as a family. There is a discrepancy in waking time but I can gently work on that. It would be a bonus to share...something educational. In my fantasy life, we would use the time to memorize or explore something...On a pragmatic level, two of the four girls remaining home train 24 hours a week and leave the house at 2:30 every afternoon to return home around 7:30. They aren't early morning people (their bodies demand sleep). One is taking 5 AP classes this year. So, their time is limited. Thank you for your guidance and observations.
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning