Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here / Just finished rowing The Bee Tree

Default New Here / Just finished rowing The Bee Tree

Hi! I thought I would introduce myself. I'm Joy in KS. I'm a homeschooling mom of 10 (5 boys and 5 girls) aged 19 down to 2. My oldest 2 have graduated. I heard Steve Lambert speak this past year and I decided to give FIAR and Beyond FIAR a try. (He was phenomenal and so encouraging!) I've been homeschooling since the beginning but wanted something fun to do with my younger ones that would help us enjoy school more together. I'm using FIAR for my 1st grader and I'm using Beyond Level 3 for my 5th, 6th and 7th graders this year. (I have fond memories of using Weaver, a unit study, with my oldest 2 and I wanted to get back to the unit study idea but with something more doable.)

I just finished rowing my first week with my first grader. We did The Bee Tree and loved it!! So much fun. I used a lot of suggestions that I found from this board and we had some great read alongs. It just worked out that we read Thank You, Mr. Falker on the last day of the week. Oh my. That was a tear jerker for me. That, along with our tea of biscuits and honey, was a great end to a fun week.

Anyway . . just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for the curriculum and the board. The board was very helpful this past spring and summer as I prepared for this school year.

Hi Joy Welcome to FIAR!!!

My dh and I heard Steve speak the summer of '06, just as I was getting ready to start hsing my oldest in K. I told dh that THAT was what hsing was supposed to look like imo. Dh went to the FIAR booth and bought Vol. 1-4, the cookbook, and the Bible supplement right then and there And we've been a FIAR family since.

Enjoy! Keep us posted about the fun you have, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Hi Joy! I'm new, too. We are 20 days into hs'ing 1st grade and about 15 of those days we have been rowing. I love it, too! I have found the archives for the volumes to be extremely helpful. I'm online using them now to prepare for rowing Madeline in 2 weeks.

Hi, Joy and Elizabeth! I'm glad you found your way to Five in a Row! Welcome!
    Robin, wife for 20 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 18yo Belle; 16yo Kitty; 13yo Princess, and 11yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016: Be her.

I'm rowing (mostly) BY Vol. 3 this year, too! We're starting with Marie Curie on the 21st.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Welcome to FIAR and the boards.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Welcome

I'm down to my last rower, and we'll be exploring volumes 2 and 3 of Beyond this year.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Thank you for introducing yourself! We still have at least a few more years of FIAR to go, and are loving every minute of it. And yes, the archives are an amazing resource which I refer back to regularly. Welcome to our little community, and hope to see you here often!
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).

Hi, Joy!!

It's great to see another fellow Kansan on here!!!

I'm guessing you heard Steve at the Wichita conference. I was there too and got to meet the Lamberts for the first time. Steve's talks were definitely inspirational!

I'm glad that your first experience with FIAR was such a blessing! I know that will just continue to be so, and please do not be a stranger on here -- there is much to be gleaned, including friendship and encouragement!

I have one daughter, who is a junior this year. We miss FIAR greatly, but have all the books and the memories, and we still get them out occasionally!

Good to 'meet' you here on the boards!
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)

Welcome!
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 19yo Eli, 17yo Kyle, and 13yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada