Thread: Online writing course for high school?

Default Online writing course for high school?

Tim is a Sr. this year, and writing is his nemesis. He detests it. It's a struggle for him to accomplish, and horrible for me to grade. He has an LD in written language, and I have no idea where the line is between honest trouble and total lack of motivation. Even he as said he wants a writing course this year that is NOT taught by me. Take a class at our local high school is one option; I'm also looking for other homeschool options in the area. Can anyone suggest some online options, graded by a real teacher somewhere in cyberspace, that are worth looking at? I'd prefer something that is focused on research papers rather than creative writing. Thank you!
    Wendy, wife of Retired Air Force hubby Sid. Mom to school teacher Virginia, 28yo; Son-in-law Mark; Homeschool graduate and Graphic Artist John, 21 and remaining student Tim, 15.
    I can only do one thing well...You pick: Homeschool the kids, or Clean the house.

We have used IEW online (but they are probably full at this time) with our oldest. He has learning issues (including dysgraphia), but this class was a good fit for him.

With our middle son we have used http://www.writeathome.com/
    The lessons are printed (they read them and do them, but their is no person teaching them) and the students write the paper, upload them, and wait for their coaches to grade them. We have only done the year long classes. However, they have some specific classes (like research papers) that are shorter and focused. Some coaches are tougher than others.

ETA: Write at Home does have an option where they will grade papers that you assign. Cost depends on length. Just another idea.
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 19yo Eli, 17yo Kyle, and 13yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

Is there a co op class around you? How about hiring an English tutor to grade his papers?
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (18), Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

Ive heard great things about Write At Home from people who used it. No personal experience though.
    You could also look at VirtualHomeschoolGroup.org which has Live & At Your Own Pace classes for everything from Math to electives.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

You might consider Essay Rockstar. She doesn't do the final grading (or at least did not in the past), but she mentors your student through the essay writing process through her course portal. It is self paced, but it does offer the idea of someone else giving feedback. She would be partnering with you.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).