Thread: Our Back to School Plan

Default Our Back to School Plan

Hey Y'all! So it seems another is about to start for us on the 21st of this month.. I'm planning and wanted to run some ideas off you guys; if that all right?

Week 1.
    Eclipse!!!
    Rowing: Who Owns the Sun
    Apologia Astronomy~ The Sun and Eclipse
    History: Slavery - Civil War
    Geography- America, Southern States
    3Rs stuff..
    Library books...

Week 2.
    Rowing: Follow the Drinking Gourd
    Astronomy~ Constellations
    History- Slavery cont.. through Civil Rights
    Geography-America and Canada
    3Rs
    Library Books...

Week 3.
    Rowing: Owl Moon
    Astronomy Moon, Lunar Phases, etc
    History- We are starting Story of the World. I know it doesn't follow FIAR but we need it to meet State Standards. Anyone had success with this?
    Geography- No idea.. Help?
    3Rs

How does this look? Thanks guys!!!!
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.

I think you'll be fine with SOTW, do you drive around a bit? You could listen to it in Audio fashion & enjoy it, discuss it, etc.

Owl Moon has a wintery woodsy setting, does your own area happen to be like that? For books that didn't have a specific setting geographically we focused more on the other aspects of it.. like woods & owls. We rowed this book before a big family camp trip so we spent many hours on our camping trip hunting for owl pellets. We didn't find any, but we sure had fun looking.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendra AU View Post
    I think you'll be fine with SOTW, do you drive around a bit? You could listen to it in Audio fashion & enjoy it, discuss it, etc.

Owl Moon has a wintery woodsy setting, does your own area happen to be like that? For books that didn't have a specific setting geographically we focused more on the other aspects of it.. like woods & owls. We rowed this book before a big family camp trip so we spent many hours on our camping trip hunting for owl pellets. We didn't find any, but we sure had fun looking.
    Good to know. Since Samantha is Deaf, I couldn't really 'terp it while driving, but that would have been a great idea!

It's pretty sunny in the winter here..maybe I could talk the hubs into a trip to the country in the winter, and just wait on that one??

- - - Updated - - -

We also just received volume 3 in the mail!!!
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.

For Owl Moon, you could study New England since Jane Yolen lives and writes there. Massachusetts, I think? Or choose an owl to study and research its habitat.

We use SOTW. You can simply read it, or you can use the activity book and add map work/history encyclopedias/additional literature.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

For geography for Owl Moon, you could combine it with studies on owls look up and map the natural habitat of various types of owls. How many places in the world have some type of owl? Which don't? Etc.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine C View Post
    For geography for Owl Moon, you could combine it with studies on owls look up and map the natural habitat of various types of owls. How many places in the world have some type of owl? Which don't? Etc.
    Fabulous idea! Along with New England or simply the geography of the animals that live in New England. What other animals could they have seen while out at night.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine C View Post
    You guys have the best ideas!

Love all these ideas!

Thanks! It worked out really well!!!