Thread: Looking for recommendations of colleges to apply to

Default Looking for recommendations of colleges to apply to

Nicholas doesn't know where he wants to go. He wants to study electrical engineering and he visited MIT this summer and loved it. But it's not cheap. I know there is NO cheap college, but I'm looking for not in the stratosphere.

Anyone have recommendations for other places for him to apply? A local friend recommended Baylor as his son has this degree from that school and it doing well at Texas Instruments. That's $10k less, but still high. Maybe I am too cheap?
    Shay, wife to Rod and mom to Nathaniel(23), Benjamin(20), Nicholas(17), Rebekah(15), Julianne(10), Jonathan(7)and Joshua(3)

Auburn University in Alabama has a great engineering school, I understand. My best friend's whole family went there and her son is now making an engineer.
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (18), Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

With two in college right now, I can honestly say that the close state university is sufficient. Mine are getting a good education, at an affordable rate, and they live at home. Our local secular school has a vibrant Christian ministry on campus. Even though I would have wished to send them to a Christian school, they are still plugged in to a good community and it seems to be going well. Is there a state school close by where you live? Look there.
    You have indeed been called into ministry. Be careful that you don't scorn it in persuit of something bigger or better in the world's eyes. -- Lis in Maine

Clemson is very good. Georgia Tech, Auburn

http://best-engineering-colleges.com...al-engineering
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 19yo Eli, 17yo Kyle, and 13yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

Thank you! I will be looking at these and discussing with him!

Kelly, have no issue with state schools. We have one 20 minutes away, but that is not one I want my kids to go to! It's not bad, but it's not great, the campus environment is not ideal and it definitely isn't science oriented. We do have a state school that is science-oriented, but my kids all want to go out of state. As much as I love Maine, they realize the job market is not strong here. So while the hometown crowd would appreciate our state schools, not sure they would be as competitive in other markets.

Hollie, do you know how often i have googled that and not come up with that site! I found other sites, but that list is different. Going off to check them all!
    Shay, wife to Rod and mom to Nathaniel(23), Benjamin(20), Nicholas(17), Rebekah(15), Julianne(10), Jonathan(7)and Joshua(3)

Engineering schools off the top of my head: (my husband is a third generation engineer working on the fourth )

• Cornell - my husband is a graduate school alum and an engineering administrator
    • Virginia Tech- my husband is an alum and that's awfully close to Liberty!
    • UMBC- my alma mater, a heavily science oriented school in the University of Maryland system
    • Purdue- competitive engineering school and our son is headed there next fall (I have first hand knowledge of out of state tuition and packages)
    • Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)- lots of kids we know go here
    • Georgia Tech - we have a nephew who goes here
    • University of Maryland- my sil is an engineering alum

I can think of more, but they are big ticket schools like University of Michigan, University of Rochester, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Carnegie Mellon, etc. Ok, Cornell is on the list, but they do give competitive financial packages.

I would also suggest using the Common App to find your schools. You can open an account and list your interests and they'll make suggestions. What's nice about that is once you choose schools you are interested in, it will populate your student's account with all the requirements for applying to that school. You don't have to apply to all the ones you choose initially. Then when it's time to apply, your information is only entered once for all the schools- plus whatever else extra the school might ask for and the essays are individualized.
    Last edited by Heather W; 08-30-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Grove City College in Grove City, PA. Great value, excellent school and a top notch Engineering program. Forbes rated it as one of their top schools for Engineering.

Just an fyi, that link Hollie provided, while a good place to start doesn't show a complete picture. For example, Grove City doesn't take Federal funding, so it's excluded from any of the "best rankings" lists. (it's also why they are able to keep their costs lower than other private schools) I'm really not sure how Forbes ranked it, but they did. Just keep that in mind and don't discount a school just because it's not on the list.

My nephew graduated w/ his degree in ME last spring from GCC. He's employed back here in AZ w/ the company he interned with last Summer (between Jr and Sr years) Emily started in EE last year there, but switched to Computer Programming at the end of freshman year. She loved the program and the teachers, she just liked coding more.
    Linda wife to Mark, Mommy to Emily, 20 Anna 18, Rebecca 16, Samuel 14, Jacob 11, and Katie 8,
    Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen.
    Steven Wright

Missouri S&T is excellent for engineering. It's the only school in the country, I believe, where you can get a PhD in Explosives Engineering. It's chosen over many private schools here for engineering -- over Wash U, SLU, etc. It's where the smart STEM kids like to go.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Another vote for Clemson (Like Hollie, I'm a grad)

Virginia Tech
    NC State - My son attended here and there is a huge and vibrant Christian community on campus. (And its close to me if you want to come visit!)
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (21), Joshua (17), Isaiah (15), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (10).