Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Curriculum!

Default Changing Curriculum!

Hi everyone! I guess I need a little encouragement/insight from more experienced homeschooling mamas. This is our first year homeschooling on our own (1st grade.) (Last year was a virtual charter school- not a good fit!)

I guess, my problem is I keep changing our curriculum. We originally started out with all LIFEPACS. Now, we are using FIAR for our spine. I ditched my SS & Science LP's (LIFEPACS.)

I added in a different Bible curriculum- Draw To Learn by Ray & Charlene Notgrass. We are using that in addition to our Bible LP's.

I added Handwriting Without Tears grade 1 because we used K last year. We've barely touched it, because then I purchased WWE and realized she's getting a lot of handwriting practice with the copywork.

I added Writing With Ease bc my daughter was not motivated to write. She'd put her head down on the table and not want to write. She now loves writing, so that's good.

I added Life of Fred because I read great reviews and a local consignment store had them for a good price. She loves LOF. She doesn't love the math LP's. Today our local homeschool store had several LOF's and I bought them all through Edgewood. So now I'm shelving our math LP's.

I added teaching Spanish a few weeks in, too. We both love that.

I need to be consistent from here on out. I do not want to stick with LP's just bc I liked them. My dd tolerates them but doesn't like them.

So right now, we are only sticking with the LA & Bible LP's.

To recap we are now using:

FIAR
    Bible & LA LP's
    WWE (forgot to add that in!)
    LOF
    Draw To Learn through Proverbs
    Spanish

And because I must be mad, I added in XtraMath and just purchased Reading Eggs and Mathseeds.

Am I the only one who changes? My hubby doesn't mind but I know it's time for me to be consistent and stick with what we have now- which is good. Leaving for swim class but will check in after. Thanks everyone!

UPDATE:

After much thought, I'll be putting XtraMath on hold. Maybe we'll try it at the end of the year or pick it back up in 2nd grade. My dd absolutely loves Mathseeds and Life of Fred. She does those happily. I can always find anything she needs extra help in online (freemathprogram.com is great and free.)

Also, I think I'll pick and choose what I want her to learn from the LA LIFEPACS. I can move her along faster and skip the stuff she already knows.

I think I'll see if my local homeschool consignment store has the bible FIAR supplement or just order it online. That will streamline and put even more into our FIAR time, which we love.

So, in my latest revision:

FIAR
    Pick out certain lessons from Language Arts LIFEPACS
    Writing With Ease
    Life of Fred
    Bible Draw To Learn until I buy the Bible FIAR supplement

Enrichment:
    Spanish
    Reading Eggs
    Mathseeds

I have another revision in another post on page 2. Ever changing, but I think we've got a good plan now!
    Last edited by Elizabeth SC; 09-14-2017 at 10:26 AM.

You know the old saying, "The grass is greener.." I think in the homeschool world it's "The curriculum is better.." & then you get there & realise it wasn't. When we used FIAR we used FIAR, FIAR Bible Supplement + our Grapevine Bible, math, & phonics. We did expand on many FIAR science lessons because that's where my children's interests lied for a long time.

I hope you have a GREAT year with your choices!!
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Kendra- Yes! I think you hit the nail on the head with "The grass is greener..." I think FIAR, WWE & Life of Fred are her favorites and we are finally on the right track! I just need to stay away from the homeschool consignment store and stop buying new stuff. I really want simple, laid back and my dd to be engaged. Thanks for the comment and your insight.

Yes!!! We have made some good changes....and some that are not so great. I think you are on the right track.
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.

Thanks for the encouragement Evadiva! I read so many blogs this summer that said don't stick with your curriculum if it's not working. I realized I love the workbooks and tests that go along with LIFEPACS but my dd doesn't. I think this will be a good change. It's hard to set aside stuff I've spent money on, but I can always consign it.

You know, it's always so tempting to add more. All the time. No matter how old your children get. Sometimes it's because you think they need more. Sometimes it's because you like whatever it is you don't have and haven't done. Sometimes it's because you want to breathe life into something you are discontent with or that your child is discontent with.

At the end of the day, my guess is you will stick with and work through only a few items.

You have a lot going on there for a first grader.

Historically, we did FIAR, math, reading. Bible was worked in with the supplement to FIAR.

For math we started with Horizons and moved to Math on the Level (which I still reference and use), and Life of Fred which is where we are through high school.

Reading was always Reading Made Easy. Language arts was weaved in using FIAR. Science and History was FIAR.

Simple, consistent, enjoyable.

Using less meant being able to do more with what we had and taking the time for other pursuits.

It sounds like your daughter loves learning. Stick with what works for her and let some things go that are not working. Even if it means doing less!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Yes Heather, she does love learning. She's a high reader so that helps. She thinks Reading Eggs and Mathseeds are fun and will "play" them as much as I will let her.

I think I may need to evaluate our bible time. Maybe I'll just switch to Draw To Learn bc it's less intense and also easier. I pick up the bible, read to her the passage, quick discussion and then she draws a pic of a verse. So, that means 4 of our 5 LIFEPAC sets will be on the shelf. I'm okay with that.

She loves Spanish, so I think I'll keep it. But yeah... former first grade teacher here and I am wrapping my mind around a relaxed approach to learning. And loving homeschooling!!!

I think the adjustment came from thinking we'd use all the LIFEPACS and be good to go to realizing I didn't pick the right curriculum for my dd. But I think we are on a good track now- finally! I just need to stick with it!

Thanks for your insight, Heather. I need insight from seasoned homeschoolers. Total newbie here!!!

I know what you mean. I'm a middle and high school biology teacher. I had to let go of a lot of classroom habits when I started homeschooling. And I still love all that school-y stuff and have to catch myself because not all of my kids operate that way. They thrive in other ways and I have to step back. I have to be reminded of that often!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Thank you all for your input, insights, encouragement and advice! I have decided to change a few things and updated my original post at the bottom. Going for less is more. Thanks again!!!

Hi Elizabeth.

I think what you've described is pretty normal as you figure out your homeschooling style and needs. I always resell curricula that wasn't a good fit so that I can recoup some of the cost.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....