Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing Curriculum!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura F View Post
    Hi Elizabeth.

I think what you've described is pretty normal as you figure out your homeschooling style and needs. I always resell curricula that wasn't a good fit so that I can recoup some of the cost.
    It took me a bit of time to figure out what works. In first grade we used FIAR with Bible Supplement, Life of Fred for math (and math games to solidify math facts on days that we didn't do LOF), Writing with Ease (after they had learned to read well - usually this happened by first grade). Other than that we just read - they read to me, I read to them, we listened to audio books.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Thank you Laura for making me feel normal. I think I will consign all of our LIFEPACS, as now I think I may ditch my last LIFEPAC we were holding onto. Today was amazing as we fit almost all of our studies into Mike Mulligan. It was so natural, relaxed and she was engaged the entire time!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine C View Post
    It took me a bit of time to figure out what works. In first grade we used FIAR with Bible Supplement, Life of Fred for math (and math games to solidify math facts on days that we didn't do LOF), Writing with Ease (after they had learned to read well - usually this happened by first grade). Other than that we just read - they read to me, I read to them, we listened to audio books.
    So Sunshine, one of your older posts about curriculum really inspired me a few weeks back. I happened to be searching about LOF and read your curriculum picks. I thought, "How simple, yet wonderful." So, I guess I'm imitating your choices and it's really working well for us!

So, I've decided now to shelve ALL of our LIFEPACS.

But it's all good! I've been inspired by Sunshine C. And also, my daughter has been responding really well to the less is more approach. Today was a great homeschool day!

CORE:
    FIAR with FIAR bible supplement
    Writing With Ease
    Life of Fred

Also, everyday I read aloud to her and she has DEAR time- reading quietly on her own with just right books. She reads to me a few times a week.

Enrichment:
    Spanish (1-2 times a week)

She wants to do these everyday, but I tell her she doesn't have to:
    Reading Eggs
    Mathseeds

I will also print a random sheet for any extra skills she needs practice on, but I want the focus to be on the core I mentioned above. Thank you all for your input. We've officially homeschooled for 42 days and I finally think I have it figured out.
    Last edited by Elizabeth SC; 09-14-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Elizabeth, I'm just seeing this (I was MIA while on vacation). I agree with all the others that you are NOT the only one!!! My first year, I changed curriculum a number of time IN THE MIDDLE OF THE YEAR!!!

I started off with Saxon Phonics/Reading because that's what my nephew was doing in school, and it was working. It was AWFUL -- "home" is NOT "school" where you're working with 20+ kids We did that for about a month, then I sold it on ebay. I then moved to The Ordinary Guide to Teaching Reading. My dd could read everything for every lesson we did, and she cried EVERY SINGLE DAY when it came time for reading (which meant that I was frustrated and on the verge of tears every day, too). I was about ready to just hang it all up, and it was just the end of October. Then, my cousin, who had hsed her 4 kids (and who I called for advice and sympathy) told me to just STOP teaching reading and she would bring me Sing, Spell, Read and Write at Thanksgiving. So, I stopped teaching reading in mid-October, and didn't start back up again until after Thanksgiving. My dd LOVED SSRW. Loved it. Loved the workbooks, loved the color, loved the songs, loved the books, and suddenly everything was GREAT, and her reading all came together. With that, I realized that curriculum and learning styles DO matter (and I also learned that *I* was the teacher and could decide what to take, what to leave, and HOW to do certain curriculum (we didn't do it all as prescribed).

I also did Saxon Math that year. I didn't drop it that year, but I moved to Abeka for elementary the next year. I did NOT like Saxon for elementary, and my kids loved the color of Abeka. We move back to Saxon in middle school. But, I LEARNED what works best.

I've also learned that some of my kids need different things than the others ones did at the same age. They're not all alike.

The JOY of homeschooling is to match your kid with the curriculum that works for them and works for you, and you CAN switch. Sometimes I've switched stuff (even now) mid-year (or early in the year if I see it's not working), and sometimes I finish out the year and then make a change the next year.
    ---- an example with an "older child" -- when I swapped dd2 to Saxon, I wasn't sure if I was putting her in the right level. I did with her what I did with dd1. Well, dd2 is a better math student, and she was missing 1 or none every day on her daily work. It was really too easy for her, so after 6 weeks, I moved her "up" in level -- I just taught/introduced the things she had missed in the new book (most is review at the beginning anyway), and she moved on and still made an A in the harder course. It's KNOWING your child
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Thank you Paige! I'm glad you found what worked for your children. I feel like hs'ing is more trial and error than I imagined. It totally makes me feel better to know that other moms have changed, too. You're right- it's about knowing our children and doing what works best for each child.

In my child's case, I've learned a massive page of addition problems (in her LIFEPACS) staring back at her will cause a head down on the table and shut down . Life of Fred and Mathseeds bring joy to her and she happily does each one. I usually have to tell her she's had enough time with Mathseeds and Reading Eggs. Today she "played" them for an hour before I told her she has to stop and go play.

Most of the time with FIAR, I feel like the learning is so natural and conversational, that sometimes she may not realize that she's learning SS, science, art, LA, math, bible, etc. But she is learning it. I am so happy that I found out about FIAR so early on in our homeschooling.