Thread: Beyond in High School?

Default Beyond in High School?

My oldest is in 8th grade this year and currently working through Beyond Volume 2. I was hoping to have her do Volume 3 next year for 9th grade, but I'm not sure if it will be acceptable for her graduation requirements.

We began with Before way back when she was 3 and have rowed all the books at a slow rate, along with taking one year off to do the Prairie Primer.

I was just wondering if anyone else had ever used Beyond for High School?

Thanks,

Amy

Amy, married to my prince, Jason for 20 years..Mommy to 4 beautiful blessings, 2 girls and 2 boys: Hailey ('04), Braden ('06), Cameron ('09), Rosemary ('12).

This has come up before, and unfortunately the answer is no, it really wouldn't work for high school. It's just not enough. BY is ideal for middle school but high school requires a certain number of hours and/or textbook completion in order to put a class on the transcript. You'd have a very hard time justifying the number of hours and academic requirements for core subjects on a high school transcript with BY.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

I agree with Rebe. It's not at a 9th grade level. You could still complete Volume 3, but I wouldn't include it on a transcript.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Thank you Rebe and Laura F. Do you feel the same way about Above and Beyond for High School?

Amy, married to my prince, Jason for 20 years..Mommy to 4 beautiful blessings, 2 girls and 2 boys: Hailey ('04), Braden ('06), Cameron ('09), Rosemary ('12).

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Jacques View Post
    Thank you Rebe and Laura F. Do you feel the same way about Above and Beyond for High School?
    Unfortunately, yes. My dd did A&BY in 8th and it was really good for 8th, but I really couldn't have given her high school credit for it.

One thing that it did, though, was encouraged/required my dd to complete a service project, and she volunteered for an entire year at an animal shelter. Now that DID go on her transcript as volunteer work -- but nothing academic. Still, it was inspired by A&BY.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Thank you, Rebe. I wish I had known this ahead of time so I could've planned better. But we'll just have to adjust as we go along, I guess! At least now I know with the rest of my kids! Thanks again, I appreciate your advice.