Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 41 (October 8th - October 14th)

The Nightingale has become a very special book for me. When my dad died earlier this year, I was not able to read for about a month after. I tried oh-so-many books hoping that one of them would be the one to focus my attention but I just couldn't get past the first five pages. I had The Nightingale on my phone so I decided to try it even though the subject matter did not interest me at the time. This was the first book that I actually finished and I loved the story!! I was so afraid that my 'reading coma' was going to be long term so this book is extra special for me.

I finished Miss Jane. I think this book will be in my top 5 books read in 2017, if not the top book. I loved the story and the writing was simply beautiful. I love it when authors weave the description of nature into the storyline.
    I have now started Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy. It is a story of missing children. I'm not sure if I will be finishing this one or not.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (16) and dd (14)

Sorry I'm late to the thread! So much great discussion and fodder for book lists this week!

I finished The Storied Life of AJ Fickry earlier in the week, and really enjoyed it. It is a very clever book and I genuinely liked many of the characters.

I am rereading and almost finished with The Hypnotist's Love Story by Lianne Moriarty. It's just a fun read.

My library ebook download of The Orphan Train just came through, so I'll likely be starting that tonight. I'm looking forward to it after several of you mentioned liking it.
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

Kathleen-All three of the books you mentioned are on my TBR list! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the two that you've read. Kennedy and I just finished our discussions on The Yellow Wallpaper so we're on to Jane Eyre!
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    The Nightingale has become a very special book for me. When my dad died earlier this year, I was not able to read for about a month after. I tried oh-so-many books hoping that one of them would be the one to focus my attention but I just couldn't get past the first five pages. I had The Nightingale on my phone so I decided to try it even though the subject matter did not interest me at the time. This was the first book that I actually finished and I loved the story!! I was so afraid that my 'reading coma' was going to be long term so this book is extra special for me.
    I finished Miss Jane. I think this book will be in my top 5 books read in 2017, if not the top book. I loved the story and the writing was simply beautiful. I love it when authors weave the description of nature into the storyline.
    Julia, sorry about your dad's passing. Please forgive me if you'd mentioned it earlier. I may have forgotten. I know what you mean about a book becoming meaningful and special as a result of circumstances and events.
    I've added "Miss Jane" to my wish list. It looks lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    I finished The Storied Life of AJ Fickry earlier in the week, and really enjoyed it. It is a very clever book and I genuinely liked many of the characters.
    I am rereading and almost finished with The Hypnotist's Love Story by Lianne Moriarty. It's just a fun read.
    My library ebook download of The Orphan Train just came through, so I'll likely be starting that tonight. I'm looking forward to it after several of you mentioned liking it.
    Kathleen, just like Michele, these books are on my wish list also!
    "Give me a room whose every nook is dedicated to a book." - Robert Southey

Julia, I wanted to send you a hug. Your post touched me very much. I'm so sorry to read about your dad. I'm also adding Miss Jane to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post

I have now started Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy. It is a story of missing children. I'm not sure if I will be finishing this one or not.
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning

The Kindle version of The Twelfth Imam is on sale today.

"Give me a room whose every nook is dedicated to a book." - Robert Southey

I'm still reading A Gentleman in Moscow. My kids are still little and hours of sleep are few and far between. Usually by the time I get into bed with my Kindle, I'll get a few pages read before I pass out!

Next on my list is the Handmaid's Tale. I love a good dystopian novel.

After that I want to read something by Kazuo Ishiguro, the recent Nobel laureate. Anyone read anything of his?

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I'm still reading A Gentleman in Moscow. My kids are still little and hours of sleep are few and far between. Usually by the time I get into bed with my Kindle, I'll get a few pages read before I pass out!

Next on my list is the Handmaid's Tale. I love a good dystopian novel.

After that I want to read something by Kazuo Ishiguro, the recent Nobel laureate. Anyone read anything of his?
    I've only read The Remains of the Day, and loved it. Read it years and years ago!

I read The Handmaid's Tale even longer ago than that -- also very good, I remember.

A Gentleman in Moscow is in transit to my library!
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Julia, on the loss of your dad.

I am glad to hear about Miss Jane. I have seen it at the library & liked it even just for the cover.

Re: Kazuo Ishiguro books...
    Seconding Rebe's recommendation about The Remains of the Day. One of my favorites. A pitch-perfect novel. I also read When We Were Orphans & liked it very much. I tried The Buried Giant when it came out but couldn't get into it & abandoned it pretty early on. Never Let Me Go is mentioned as being excellent; I haven't read it because dystopian is not a favorite genre of mine.

Re: spooky reading...
    I started & then abandoned Fat White Vampire Blues. I hadn't read a summary of it prior to reading it, just found it on a list of best vampire books you haven't heard of. The book was published in 2003. Especially in light of current events of the last few years, as well as expanding my own reading during the same time re: racial issues in our country, I think my eyes have been further opened every time I read/learn more. I read about 70 pages of this book & it was a "slap in the face" to me from some of the (extremely derogatory) racial stereotypes portrayed; I felt uncomfortable reading it. As in, really, really uncomfortable. It was just wrong. Too wrong. And it also had attitudes toward those with mental disabilities. Just wrong on so many levels.
    Last edited by Stacia; 10-14-2017 at 12:20 AM.

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

I am currently reading a book called Mandarinfish, by Ron King. It is about growing a multicultural church.
    Wife to Darrell, mom to John, Patrick, DJ and Ryan, Stepgrandmom of 5, grandmother to Adam, Harper, and Alexander. Done homeschooling but not done learning!