Thread: A book to read with Lentil

Default A book to read with Lentil

We enjoyed reading The Cello of Mr. O by Jane Cutler today along with our Lentil row. I was just looking for fun books to go along with harmonicas. This turned out to be a really sweet, touching read.

Here is a short synopsis:
    In this picture book about a war-torn city, a little girl struggles with many emotions. Mr. O, the famous musician who lives upstairs, gets angry with the kids for their noisy hallway games. But when a rocket destroys the relief truck that brings their meager rations, Mr. O surprises them all. He takes his cello into the middle of the square and he plays. And through his music, the little girl learns that courage can sustain the soul just as bread sustains the body.

And yes, there is a harmonica.

Thank you for sharing. I just looked this up and I want to read it! Tomorrow is library day and my library has it
    Debbie wife to Jim, Momma to Rachel, Melissa, Jimmy, Joey, Abby, Susie, Katie, Noah and Nick MiMi(grandma) to Sophia , Hannah, JJ and Rhyot.

Thank you! I have also just put it on hold at our library.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Sounds worth checking.

Thank you for sharing! We rowed Lentil last week, and my ds loved it I'm just sorry my library doesn't have this....
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

This sounds wonderful!

I recently read the book Echo which also features a harmonica. I would recommend it for middle age readers (9/10 and up) and it is also a fabulous story!
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (21), Joshua (17), Isaiah (15), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (10).

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Nelsen View Post
    I recently read the book Echo which also features a harmonica.
    Oh, thanks for sharing. I always like having an "older book" to go along too. My 10 year old has been sitting in with my 6 year old's lessons. Could you tell me the author? My library had quite a few books with the title Echo.

Its by Pam Munoz Ryan.

I loved the audio if that is an option. I checked it out from our library. It was fun hearing the music with the story.
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (21), Joshua (17), Isaiah (15), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (10).