Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: November 2017 Read-Alouds

Default November 2017 Read-Alouds

Hello Friends,

We have one chapter left in "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." I wasn't planning on re-reading this, but we were invited to a Narnia-themed party and so it seemed appropriate. We all love those books so no one minded that I was reading aloud something that we had already read.

In the car, on audible, we finished "Little Men" which is so delightful! I aspire to be the kind of teacher that Mr. and Mrs. Bher are in the book.
    Then we listened to "Hank the Cowdog, The Case of the Halloween Ghost."

I'm not sure what I will be reading aloud next and would love to see what you are reading aloud with your kids.

Audible just put "The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place; The Mysterious Howling" on sale for $4 and we will start that today in the car. I had started reading it aloud to the girls, but had to return the book to the library before I got very far. We are on the wait-list for it, but this will be a fun way to listen to it!
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

AR- You will LOVE The Mysterious Howling!

We are still reading Anne of Avonlea during morning meeting.

I'm reading Mere Christianity with my 19yo when he is able- taking full advantage of what while I can!

With my 12yo I'm reading The Interrupted Tale (book 4 of The Incorrigible Children). We have just one chapter and the epilogue left. I also started listening to The Marvelous Land of Oz on Audible with him. It's one of his favorites.

This summer we started Coot Club (the 5th book in the Swallows and Amazons series), but we need to get back to it.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

We are reading Wonder and Memory Maze (the second on a trilogy)!

Funny--I just put The Mysterious Howling on hold for my eldest today! We just wrapped up the last book in the All of a Kind Family series. It was sad to say goodbye to these lovely stories; but they were great fun while they lasted! We'll start A Wrinkle in Time next.
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).

We finished the Mysterious Benedict Society series. Loved it! My favorite was the last one (the prequel). I just love the character of Nicholas.

We're now about halfway through Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I've read this book aloud at least two other times, and read it myself as a child, but it never ceases to amaze me how utterly weird this book is. My son is getting a kick out of it.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

We are reading the same book as Heather. Book 4 of the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place. I also just read All if a Kimd Family. Sweet book.

Will probably read the 5th book next. Want to do a read aloud with my older teens but it’s hard to find time that works.
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (21), Joshua (17), Isaiah (15), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (10).

We are in the middle of Caddie Woodlawn and If You Lived When There Was Slavery in America. The second book is a follow up we began after rowing Who Owns the Sun? last week.

We are reading Fever 1793 for our American history book club. If you like historical fiction, it's really good. We also read What Was the Lewis and Clark Expedition? as our non-fiction choice.

At night we are reading the newest Stick Cat book: Two Catch a Thief. These are simply just fun and silly adventures from the minds of cats. If you have a young reader, the Stck Dog and Stick Cat books are great!

We are just under halfway through the Mysterious Benedict Society based on a recommendation from here - the kids LOVE it! I must admit that I am also extremely curious - I'm trying hard to hold myself back from reading ahead to see what it's all about. Otherwise, we are almost finished with Mystery of History Volume 2 in the car (we just listen to it as an audio book and do not use it as curriculum at this point) and my dh is reading the 4th Wingfeather book to dd.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Here's my list so far this month:

Non-Fiction -
    The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
    Michael Faraday Father of Electronics by Charles Ludwig

Fiction -
    Math and Magic in Wonderland by Lilac Mohr
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    Here Lies the Librarian by Richard Peck
    The Wonderful Adventures of Nils by Selma Lagerlof

In the car Audio Books -
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
    Mercy Watson Volume 3 by Kate DiCamillo
    Flora and Ulysses by Katie DiCamillo

Bedtime audio books:
    Silas and Cedric are relistening to the Harry Potter series
    Aria and Titus are listening to The Boxcar Children
    Loving, living, and learning with Silas (11) Cedric (10) Aria (7) Titus (5)