Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 45 (November 5th - November 11th)

Default Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 45 (November 5th - November 11th)

I hope everyone's doing well.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been having difficulty posting, so let me try again.

I hope everyone's doing well.

I have updated my review for The Complete Guide to Fasting - 1 Star - I read this book a while back and since then, I have spent more time researching and thinking about it. I have also followed some of the advice, fasting off and on for 12-16 hours.

I’m updating my review. His first book, “The Obesity Code” was far better. At the time that I read it, I felt that it was among the very best in all the diet books that I have read. Below are some of my observations/the problems that I have with this book.

NOT ENOUGH TIPS

This book is not “a complete guide”. It covers a lot of background information and goes into great details about all fasting benefits and so on. The book is extremely repetitive when it comes to all that, really, really repetitive! Yet when it comes to actual tips and how to put fasting into practice, it is seriously lacking. So this is when I chose to join a few Facebook groups to learn more and to hopefully gain insight.

SEEMS TO BE MORE SUITED FOR CHILD-FREE COUPLES
    When I first read this book, I thought of one major concern. I have to cook for a family and here is where the problem lies. I have never, ever been able to lose weight when I cook and that’s not even considering fasting. He mentions that fasting and cooking are not a good mix. I can understand why. I fast once a year for religious reasons and I barely cook during that time. For me, cooking while fasting is simply not happening. He does have some short and simple fasts: 12 hour and 16 hour ones, but that's when the weight loss starts to plateau, as it inevitably does, he recommends longer and different types of fasts and I honestly can’t see myself being able to do that, unless if the entire family was on board. He mentions that fasting is most successful among couples when both commit to it, but not everyone is in that situation.

IT WORKS AT FIRST
    So again, from all that I have read and the little that I have experienced, when it comes to weight loss, this approach works initially, but then the amount of weight lost starts to plateau, and this appears to be more common among women. That’s when the author suggests that one needs to keep upping the ante and extending the length of the fasts.

EXTENDED FAST
    I don’t have an issue with moderate fasting – 12 hours, 16 hours, the 5:2 diet, 3:4, and so on. What troubles me about the second book, is that they push for longer and longer fasts, in other words, extended fasting, which I think is simply unwise. I’m talking fasting for a week and longer, sometimes as long as three weeks! I think that that's too extreme. During that time, the daily caloric intake is well under 200 calories, when only water, kombucha, and bone broth are eaten. I cannot imagine it can be sustainable and how it can create a healthy relationship when it comes to food.

COFFEE
    One thing that they do recommend is consuming large amounts of black coffee. I would not be able to tolerate that on an empty stomach.

HAIR LOSS

I was on the Facebook groups for a short while and saw that many complained about this. The idea of losing hair is not an appealing one. Drastic diets like this are known to be a major factor in hair loss.

MY FINAL TAKE
    If you do wish to try intermittent fasting, I would suggest not wasting your money and/or time on this book, but rather only read “The Obesity Code”. If you read and re-read the tips there, that’s really all that you need. This second book really does not add much at all and isn’t worth the price.

Some quotes that I thought to share:

“Fasting, by taking a completely different approach, is much easier to understand. It is so simple that it can be explained in two sentences: Eat nothing. Drink water, tea, coffee, or bone broth. That’s it.”

“Try to physically remove yourself from all food stimuli during a fast. Cooking a meal or even just seeing and smelling food while fasting is almost unbearably difficult. This is not simply a matter of weak willpower. Our cephalic phase responses are fully activated, and to feel those responses without actually eating is like trying to stop a piranha feeding frenzy. This, of course, is the same reason you should not shop for food when hungry, or keep snacks in the pantry.”

“Interestingly, I’ve seen the highest success rates with husbands and wives who try fasting together: the mutual support is a big help and makes fasting far easier.”

I read The Talented Mr. Ripley - 3 Stars - This book is well-written and the plot is gripping. My challenge was the protagonist. Stepping inside the mind of a sociopath, psychopath, or whatever monster he was, was hard for me. This is another one of those books where I really didn’t like a single character.

and Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life - 3 Stars - The doctor who wrote this book is a world authority on Parkinson's Disease. I love his hopeful approach, which is one of involved doctors teaching and mentoring patients. This is a quick read. My only complaint is that I do wish that there was more practical information and tips. It’s a bit lacking in that area.

MY RATING SYSTEM
    5 Stars
    Fantastic, couldn't put it down
    4 Stars
    Really Good
    3 Stars
    Enjoyable
    2 Stars
    Just Okay – nothing to write home about
    1 Star
    Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.
    "Give me a room whose every nook is dedicated to a book." - Robert Southey

Pretty sure fasting would not be an option in my house. Not for many, many years, anyway!

I finished Caroline: Little House, Revisited. I really enjoyed this and am considering adding it to my LIW collection. One thing I liked most about it was her honesty with the character of Caroline, and her historical accuracy. It takes a brave and talented writer these days who will acknowledge the tremendous, overarching importance of the Christian faith in women of her time period. Faith, knowledge of the Bible (by memory), and adherence to now-quaint and unheard of ideas like self-sacrifice, self-control, humility, modesty, etc. were ingrained in anyone of faith during that time. They were an expected part of what it meant to be a Christian (among other qualities). The writer absolutely got this right in this book. What some reviewers saw as her just being "a product of her times" was actually her faith acted out in her life. I also found it amusing that some people reviewed it poorly because it had scenes of marital intimacy. I think the author included this partly because when we all read the LIW books, there are parts "left out." Like that part, for instance (obviously), but also things like using latrines and "the necessary," breastfeeding babies, childbirth, keeping up with monthly sewing and washing needs for females, etc. All of that is in this book. I found that very refreshing -- surely those things took up a lot of women's time without the conveniences we have today.

I am trying to decide what to read next.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Negin, reading your review, I found myself wondering: at what point does prolonged fasting (like in the 2-3 weeks range you mention) on a regular basis become anorexia? I get concerned when I see folks getting so controlling about their food intake. I don't mean to offend or make it sound like I think you fit this category; on the contrary, you sound like you have a very balanced and objective approach to the ideas the book poses. But I had never heard of folks using extended fasting as a diet strategy, and that doesn't sound like a safe idea to me. (I've had a number of individuals in my family as well as friends who have struggled with this issue, so perhaps I'm just too sensitive on the subject!)

I finished the terrible novel adaptation of Agatha Christie's play, Black Coffee. It was adapted by Charles Osborne, and I will never read another of his adaptations again! The grandson of Christie apparently approved this person to adapt the play, claiming that it read like "vintage Christie." I heartily disagree--to me, it read more like pastiche! I would not have finished it except that I wanted to read it to prepare for viewing the play soon. Awful, awful stuff.

I'm hoping to start catching up on some of my other reading in-between reading/grading for work--I have several things started that got set aside for a long while, so thought it would be easier to chip away at those rather than starting anything new for the moment.
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki P in VA View Post
    Negin, reading your review, I found myself wondering: at what point does prolonged fasting (like in the 2-3 weeks range you mention) on a regular basis become anorexia? I get concerned when I see folks getting so controlling about their food intake. I don't mean to offend or make it sound like I think you fit this category; on the contrary, you sound like you have a very balanced and objective approach to the ideas the book poses. But I had never heard of folks using extended fasting as a diet strategy, and that doesn't sound like a safe idea to me. (I've had a number of individuals in my family as well as friends who have struggled with this issue, so perhaps I'm just too sensitive on the subject!)
    Not much time to reply the way that I would like, but I hope to later. Vicki, you did not offend at all. I agree with you completely.

Quick reply to say that the Kindle version of Paris to the Moon is on sale today.

I've started Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe. I've wanted to read this for years, and saw it sitting on a library shelf last week, so I grabbed it. So far I like it, just a few chapters in.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

One of my favorites, Rebe! If you can, I always recommend reading No Longer at Ease as well--it's the continuation of the story. Hope you enjoy it!
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).

I finished Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin over the weekend and really liked it! It is a page-turner of a character driven narrative about slut shaming. A naive 20 year old intern has an affair with a married politician, and it is her life that is ruined, not his. Except this strong girl decides not to accept the idea that her life is ruined and reinvents herself. Very vividly told from multiple points of view.

I started Cloud Atlas, and I know many of you liked it. It's not grabbing me for whatever reason. I will give it the 10% go and move on if it does not grab me by then.
    Last edited by KathleenM; 11-06-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

Ok, somehow posted twice in a row... sorry... move along, nothing to see here

I just finished One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus. I am usually not a fan of YA but I didn't mind this one. I am now reading Lies She Told by Cate Holahan. It is a suspense about an author with a troubled marriage trying to resurrect her troubled career. The chapters alternate between the author's life and the book she is writing. Is it bad that I am enjoying the chapters on the book more than those about the main character?
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (16) and dd (14)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I finished Caroline: Little House, Revisited. I really enjoyed this and am considering adding it to my LIW collection.
    Rebe, I'm adding this to my list.
    And I smiled at your comment about fasting at your home. Same here at our home also.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki P in VA View Post
    I get concerned when I see folks getting so controlling about their food intake.
    Vicki, yes, as I mentioned earlier, I agree. No extreme is good.
    Sorry to hear that the Agatha Christie adaptation was so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I've started Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe. I've wanted to read this for years, and saw it sitting on a library shelf last week, so I grabbed it. So far I like it, just a few chapters in.
    Rebe, I'm eager to hear your thoughts on this. I keep hearing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    I finished Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin over the weekend and really liked it! It is a page-turner of a character driven narrative about slut shaming. A naive 20 year old intern has an affair with a married politician, and it is her life that is ruined, not his. Except this strong girl decides not to accept the idea that her life is ruined and reinvents herself. Very vividly told from multiple points of view.
    I started Cloud Atlas, and I know many of you liked it. It's not grabbing me for whatever reason. I will give it the 10% go and move on if it does not grab me by then.
    Kathleen, "Young Jane Young" sounds interesting!
    I'm always uncertain about "Cloud Atlas". Not sure if I'll like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    The chapters alternate between the author's life and the book she is writing. Is it bad that I am enjoying the chapters on the book more than those about the main character?
    I smiled at your last sentence . No, it's not bad at all!
    Going to look into both of the books that you mentioned. Julia, like you, I'm not usually a YA fan.